Shade city is a massive multi-level mega city located on the western coast of north America. The upper city is the 'civilized' part of the city, where most of the buisness of life and living is conducted. But even the forest of glittering glass and steel towers there are shadows, and in those shadows lurk unimaginable danger.

Postby Langschwert on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:10 pm

The law offices of partners Harvey, Grant, and Bernstein cover a wide variety of law, but are most known for corporate law and contract law within the Uppercity. The law offices are situated about ten blocks away from the Central Skyside Tram Station in suite 9000. There are about seventy practicing attorneys in the firm all with varying specialties. The regular traffic is mostly businessmen that have a continuing relationship with the firm. There are also a number of secretaries and paralegals employed there as well.

As the elevator doors open the first thing a prospective client would see is the main secretary desk. The desk is a warm wooden color and matches the very conservative, but cozy decor of the law office. Hallways branch to the left and right of the desk. These hallways house individual offices for more senior attorneys, boardrooms, and a mock courtroom. The area behind the desk opens into a larger workspace with cubicles galore for the new attorneys in the firm.

A client usually checks in with the secretary and she will call down the lawyer who takes the client to their office or a boardroom if they do not yet have the seniority necessary for a personal office. The secretary at the front is helpful, and usually friendly if you catch her after her second cup of coffee. She is usually there at the front during the daylight hours.
Langschwert
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Re: Location: Law Offices of Harvey, Grant, and Bernstein

Postby Langschwert on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:32 pm

The office of Brian Young is a few doors down on the right. Although he has risen quickly from a junior associate slave in the main room behind the secretary, his office isn't exactly plush. The small office has room for an L-shaped desk made of a light colored wood and two chairs across for clients. On the desk is a hutch that is adorned with old case books that contain some of Brian's favorite legal material. Since most of the research and paperwork is now done electronically there is not much in the way of paper laying about on the desk.

Brian yawned as he went over a list of intern candidates on the screen. The summer was coming and he was one of the attorneys responsible for making it to the on campus interviews and finding the cream of the crop. His eyes quickly came to a stop after a whole morning of scanning for the student with the right criteria. Taking a good, long stretch in his chair; he looked up at the clock on the wall. Looking at his pocket watch for verification, it was almost time for his appointment with a musician who had asked him to look over his contract.

Brian braced his hands on the arms of his high-backed chair and heaved himself up. He brought himself over to a small closet that was in the corner of the office. Opening the closet, he took out his coat and quickly pulled it unto his body. Looking in a mirror on the door of the small closet, he adjusted his tie and smoothed out an errant hair. After about 5 minutes he was satisfied that he looked professional enough to sit down. Taking out a manila folder, he flipped through the file refreshing himself again before the client arrived.
Last edited by Langschwert on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Langschwert
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Postby Lupis on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:54 am

((I apologize profusely for how long it's taken me to reply here...life ambushed me from several different directions, one way after another))

Say what you would about rock stars, but they knew how to make an entrance.

Judas entered the building, walking quickly, disdaining bodyguard or entourage. His driver was outside, with the car. This was something he could deal with himself. He'd discussed things with the band before coming here, but the necessary time to schedule the appointment was too early for their comfort after the previous night. Judas himself had ceased to indulge in alcohol and drugs...they just seemed to screw up his system now without providing anything close to the rush they used to. Besides, he found something better...

The rocker tossed his coat over a chair in the waiting room before even approaching the secretary at the desk. Clearly he wasn't part of the usual client base the attorneys attended to. Judas was confident enough in his own fame that he'd disdained formal clothes for the meeting, wearing a black t-shirt emblazoned with a large "anarchy" symbol and a pair of faded black jeans. Sunglasses followed the coat as he smiled, feral gaze surveying the inside of the attorney office. Not a bad place...not a bad place at all. Furthermore, he had heard good things about the place.

Judas walked forward across the waiting area, smiling at the secretary. He could smell her all the way across the bloody room...she smelled good. He sighed slightly, refraining from licking his lips as he leaned against the counter. He had an appointment, after all, and it would be far too easy for someone to draw the connection if she were to disappear right when a certain client showed up. Suspicious. He had to avoid suspicion...so he relaxed, smiling as he addressed the secretary. "Hey, I'm Samuel Derrik. I believe I have an appointment?"
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Langschwert on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:37 am

((Don't worry about it. Life for me has been pretty busy as well with school. After you sent me that PM, I didn't even worry. I'm just glad that you are back. :D ))

The secretary grinned and started playing with her hair. "Good Morning Mr. Derrick, let me check the schedule for a moment." Her eyes flicked from the screen to Judas and back again. Finally after approximately thirty seconds of searching she found the appointment.

"Ah, you have an appointment with Brian. One moment Please." She then pushed a button on the panel in front of her.

"Mr. Young?" She blinked a few times waiting for a response.

"Yes, Ms. Harris?"

"Your 11 o'clock appointment is here." She looked back up at Judas and smiled.

"Thank you, send him in"

Ms. Harris pointed down the hall to her left, "his office is seven doors down the hall on the right. Good luck!" She smiled widely at Judas before returning to her duty of keeping up with the lawyers appointments and deadlines. It was a feat for three women let alone one.
Langschwert
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Postby Lupis on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:38 am

"Thanks." Judas smiled, claws leaving small scratches in the counter. "Right down this way, yeah?" He walked off down the hall, looking at the doors as he passed then, looking for the right one...ah, here it was.

The vampire pushed open the door for Brian Young's office, looking around. Seemed fairly typical from what he could tell of lawyer's offices, though he was bringing experience simply from television. He hadn't been around too many lawyers, after all. "Mr. Young?" He smiles, settling down, his tail flicking out of the way in a practiced motion as he settles down into one of the chairs across the desk from the lawyer without invitation. He stretched out, relaxing in the chair. Quite comfortable, really. "Beautiful day outside, isn't it? All this sunshine..." He smiled wryly.
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Langschwert on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:20 am

Brian checked his reaction as Judas walked into his office and causally sat down in the chair. His brain was struggling to decide if it was from his client's wolfish appearance or the fact that he entered his office so casually. "True, but usually the only time I get out is during lunch. With that and all the blood-sucking comments we get from clients you would think the public would just shorten it to vampire." He rolled his eyes to punctuate his last comment.

"Alright, Mr. Derrick. Since this is the first time you've visited us, I'm going to need to have you read and sign a couple of papers." Brian took a pad that looked like an e-reader. On the pad was the client-attorney confidentiality form that was written in as plain as legally possible. "If you have any questions about the language on that sheet or if something seems off." Brian slid the pad over to Judas and continued.

"After you finish with that I would like to hear what problems you are having. Otherwise, with you being a musician, I'm sure you wouldn’t be wasting your time or money here. So, let’s try to get as much done today as we can so you can get back to making music." Brian leaned forward on his desk looking to make sure Mr. Derrick had no problems with the pad.

((Sorry if the last sentence in the first paragraph is a little cliche. He's just making a bad joke and doesn't actually know about vampire. If this is obvious then it's alright. I just don't want anyone thinking he knows more than he does.))
Langschwert
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Postby Lupis on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:46 am

((Oh, it's fine! I've heard plenty of lawyer jokes likening them to vampires.))

Judas' grin widened, turning even more wolfish at the mention of vampires. Oh, this man was a riot! The supreme irony was that he didn't even know it. "If it would make you feel better, I actually have heard lawyers referred to as vampires...and ticks, leeches, buzzards, even catfish." He settles back in his seat smiling as he accepted the pad that the lawyer hands to him.

It all seemed pretty basic, no more or less than he expected. He'd seen confidentiality agreements before, and this one didn't seem too different, truth be told. It was enough to merit skimming, rather than reading through all the legal-ese, even simplified as it was. "Not a terrible amount of problems, really. More a, hrm, situation." He closes the document, setting it aside. "Our contract is set to expire, though our current record company is looking to renew it, extend essentially the same contract over a number of years."

Judas folds his hands in his lap, unconsciously flexing the claws on his digitigrade feet as he crosses his legs. "When the record company was helping us get started, the contract we had worked out gave our agent, and through him the company, twenty-five percent of all proceeds of record sales, ticket sales, merchandising, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. They said that it was something of an investment on their part, and since they were making a risk on an unknown band, they required a greater share of proceeds than the customary agents' ten percent." He snorts softly, his eyes narrowing slightly at the thought. "However, now that we're rather well established, have some rocking album sales going on, and a concert tour lined up to go all through the Undercity, the agency is still seeming reluctant to bump down their share to the ten percent.

"I want you to take a look at the contract." He reaches into a back pocket, pulling out a somewhat smaller version of the reader that Brian had handed him, loading up a document quite more buried in legal doubletalk than the lawyer's had been and handing it over. "I'm hoping that we might be able to negotiate...but given their extreme reluctance so far, I'm not sure if I expect that to happen. Barring negotiation, we'll need to start shopping for a new company," Judas sighs, studiously avoiding a snarl of disgust, "which will bring up all sorts of new problems of its own."

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Langschwert on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Brian took the reader from Judas and immediately starts intensely eyeing the document. After about a half-minute of straining on the smaller pad, Brian presses a couple of buttons on the pad to send the document to his monitor. He spoke up, "What I'm doing now is making a copy for myself, and we will go over the terms. I need to make sure I understand which items on the contract need to be changed. Don't worry I'll spare you as much legal jargon as possible" Brian smiled as he swiveled the monitor on his desk around to where Judas could see. Most contracts are taken from form books and the lawyers drafting the contracts merely have to customize the form to suit their need.

He could recognize the form from the brief look he had at the contract, and preceded to scroll down to the area where the percentage is mentioned. He traced a finger down a line and highlighted the section in yellow. Brian narrowed his eyes as he thought about why the company would still want to take a twenty-five percent cut. His eyes widened a bit and he turned to Judas with a puzzled look on his face.

"Has anything happened with the band recently that would make the company more worried than usual?" Taking out a file folder he opened it and spread it out in front of his client. "I'm not accusing, but I'm asking because there is nothing in my file that would make a company be more hesitant than usual. I'm doing the risk calculations and it just doesn't add up. If this is just a case of greed on their part, then it will be much easier for us to work out a solution through negotiation."
Langschwert
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Postby Lupis on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:31 am

Judas nodded slightly, just watching as Brian read through the document. Simple enough, more than likely. Brian seemed to make his way through the document with complete confidence, arriving at the section that he had indicated. "Not that I'm aware of. None of us have been engaging in any, hrm, high-risk activities, certainly not more than any other rock group. We don't go for the drugs, no Coke, no Pink Haze, , none of the designer synthetic stuff that keeps coming out. Sure, we drink, but what band doesn't? We're not going for any of the crazy sky-diving, BASE jumping, motorcycle racing, none of those stunts."

He settles back more securely into his seat. "I'm pretty sure they're just going in it for greed, and hoping that we'll stick to them out of some strange sense of loyalty, and also that we might be too lazy to think of looking for a different company. If that's going to be their position, though, we'd be more than happy to prove them wrong."

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Langschwert on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Brian leaned closer and listened as Judas explained the position of the band. "Well, I believe that it would be best to prime negotiations by informing them that you have began to shop around and have consulted an attorney. If that doesn't get you a lower offer, then you might want to leave the relationship." Brian shifted back into his chair and leaned back as he thought about the situation.

"The only reason I recommend negotiation is that there is less of a transactions cost in negotiation rather than shopping around. The band won't have to go through that extensive courting phase and the successive drafts of contracts that will require a lot of hours of work and more importantly money." To emphasize the last word the lawyer rubbed his fingers together. Brian leaned back up and pointed to the contract on the screen.

"In fact if you show a willingness to deal shrewdly and very businesslike it is possible that they may come down on their percentage more than the usual 10 percent. However, before you get your hopes up I have to say that I cannot promise that you will get the number you are targeting. Through negotiation and shopping around you should be able to get as close as you can to that target." Brian took a deep breath and looked to Judas.

"Now once you get closer to the bargaining stage you need to call me. I've been heavily exposed over the last couple of years to negotiation and I will be able to help you when you get there. If I'm not available, or you decide not to go with me I can find you another negotiator. Meanwhile, I will be looking over your contract in detail and drafting one of my own. Be sure to keep in touch if there are any developments."

"I apologize for talking so much, but a lawyer's voice is music to his own ears." Brian smiled warmly. "Do you have anymore questions?"
Langschwert
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Return to Tales of Shade City RP: Uppercity