Movies you should watch

Resources and reading in order to understand the genre of Shifters, since there seems to be a *lot* of misunderstanding.

Movies you should watch

Postby ShadowsMyst on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:56 am

To get the 'feel' of the Shifters universe, I highly suggest you go and rent yourself the following videos to get the 'feel' behind what Shifters is like. A lot of people walk into the RP thinking that its just a contemporary environment or its 'whitewolf' of another flavor. Newsflash, its not.

When you are creating a character, you have to keep in mind the sort of world they are living in and the sort of people they will be as a result. Also, studying the main characters from other media of similar type can help you to develop interesting characters of your own.

For an extremely comprehensive list, check out: http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/

Movie list:
Johnny Mnemonic
Blade Runner
Judge Dread
Total Recall
Logan's Run
A Clockwork Orange
Soylent Green
Strange Days
Minority Report
Metropolis
Equilibrium
Ultraviolet
Underworld (although this isn't really futuristic enough looking... )
Casshern

Anime:
Ghost in the Shell (Movie)
Ghost in the Shell (TV series, 2 seasons)
Appleseed
Appleseed: Ex Machina
Akira
AD Police Files
Armitage: III
Bubblegum Crisis
Bubblegum Crash
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Geno Cyber
Gunnm (aka Battle Angel Alita)
Wicked City
Trinity Blood
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Re: Movies you should watch

Postby Martenzo on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:48 am

Hmm... darn, I bet start "acquiring" then. I've only seen Minority Report and Judge Dredd. Maybe Blade Runner too, but I'm not sure about that one.
Martenzo
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Lupis on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:30 am

And if you prefer reading to watching some of these movies (the movie for "Johnny Mnemonic" is particularly awful) most of them are based off of William Gibson or Phillip K. Dick short stories. Look for them at your nearest Borders or Barnes and Noble or whatever.

Also, a few more to look for in print format:

William Gibson
Burning Chrome
Neuromancer

And please, PLEASE! If you can find Metropolis, watch it! It's a film classic!
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Gorble on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:00 am

Johnny Mnemonic is classic and decent enough for its time.

"I WANT ROOM SERVICE! I want the club sandwich... the cold Mexican beer... the ten thousand a night hooker! Just like they do in the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo."
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Lupis on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:59 pm

Ehhh...it's Keanu Reeves trying to play somebody with some emotional depth. The casting decision could have been better. And the short story really was a whole lot better.
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Gorble on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:29 pm

Never tracked down the actual story and let's face it in most cases the book is better than the movie. Lot of celebs in JN though for such a low budget cult classic.

I might suggest adding 'Vexille' to the list. It's made by the same people that did the two recent Appleseeds. I must say I like the small hardsuit design they used in it, at least for the arm design.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Flame Kitsune on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Wow all movies ive seen and most loved..same for the animes alot of em ive either seen or read the mangas...hehe this wont be too hard...in any case my characters are generally universally accepted ill jsut need to think hard on what to be...uhm if an Admin can pm me id like to ask a few questions before i decide anything so i dont shoot myself in my proverbial foot.

thanks
Flame Kitsune
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Shoccolate on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:41 am

Oooh, all of my childhood favorites.

No, don't ask me how old I am. Thanks.

As far as anime goes, I would recommend Karas. It definitely has that feel. Plus, one of my favorite mythological creatures is a main character. Seems like everything else I can think of is already on that list.
Shoccolate
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Postby Talexis on Tue May 10, 2011 8:50 pm

Thinking about it, you could add the first few minutes of the Extended Version of Avatar(blue people) to the list. It shows a future earth, some maglev trains, street level stuff. It's a few minutes, though, so unless you can find it for free I think you could probably supplement it with a mixture of Minority Report, Judge Dread and a hint of Repo!, if my memory persists.
Talexis
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Return to Getting the Genre Right