Omg never thought school could get this bad

For the discussion of general affairs of the site or whatever you want to talk about. No really, talk about anything you like.

Re: Omg never thought school could get this bad

Postby Daggertooth on Sat May 05, 2012 7:32 pm

My Masters is in Rangeland Ecology and Management, with an emphasis on wildfire. However, I technically don't qualify for any Range jobs nor Fire jobs. Silly combo there.

I thought I was almost done a while ago, but it turned out I pushed this to about the last minute as possible. ...But its moving along. Right now I'm working on my Masters defense. A 30 min presentation followed by a two hour Q and A session with my committee testing me on knowledge. That is this Monday...where four years of my life...of a two year program...is squeezed into a single moment. ...kinda nervous.

Having a hard time getting the presentation to be 30 min long. I had a dry run with my adviser about two hours ago and it ran 24 minutes. Which was odd because every practice run I did took closer to 45 minutes...and I just finished a decent practice run that took 48 minutes. I think I may be stuck in some temporal fractured landscape.
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby deepbluerenegade on Sun May 06, 2012 6:08 pm

I would trust the shorter time. People talk faster when nervous, and you'll be at least a little nervous for the true run.

For my MS defense I was going at warp speed until I got interrupted. Then I calmed down and proceeded to go 15-30 minutes longer than my practice runs.

You know your stuff, it should be fine.

-DBR
deepbluerenegade
Shifter Darkly
Shifter Darkly

Postby Daggertooth on Mon May 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks deepblue. It actually went a lot better than I expected. I was nervous and anxious until Just about the time my adviser called me up. Then, for the most part, I was calm and collected. One committee member was over in Portugal and being skyped in. Unfortunately his connection cut out about four times, but it did allow me to take a step back, a sip of water, and to collect myself. The talk itself was probably about 40 mins and I nailed all the questions anyone asked about the topic. Went much better than I expected and now I just need to make a few small revisions before I'm declared a Master.

Interview afterwords did decent as well, though I got stumbled up quite a bit on mathematical fire prediction models with relation to spatial scale. Not really my forte, but I survived.

Feeling good. Feeling done, even though I have a ton of work to do in the next two days or so.
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby deepbluerenegade on Wed May 16, 2012 5:34 am

Yea! All hail Master Daggertooth!
deepbluerenegade
Shifter Darkly
Shifter Darkly

Postby Talexis on Wed May 16, 2012 6:58 pm

*bows in respect*