Omg never thought school could get this bad

For the discussion of general affairs of the site or whatever you want to talk about. No really, talk about anything you like.

Re: Omg never thought school could get this bad

Postby Lunaticked on Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:19 pm

Daggertooth wrote:However, I qualify for any ecology job and I am in a field I love. I don't expect to ever make much money, starting pay with a masters degree is somewhere around $40,000, but then I didn't go into this field for the money. I went into this field to enjoy the outdoors and to ensure that future generations can enjoy it.

Now this is totally something I want to hear more about. Honestly, there's all these neat sounding jobs out there that one never learns about. Always had an interest in park work, conservation and whatnot, but the details were never there. Also, in Ontario I loved the outdoors, but my experience with them had always been...go out for a day, spend several days recovering from being eaten alive by insects, repeat and didn't think I could handle a constantly outdoor career.

Now I live in a much less biting insect infested province and really wish I had got to travel more in my youth. I have not yet had a swarm of insects around my head, risking being trapped under an eyelid (worst thing that can ever happen. EVER) since I moved here. Totally changes perspective on things.
Lunaticked
Shifter Darkly
Shifter Darkly

Postby Tsureai on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:13 am

My father has a law degree and fifteen years ago he was making 65k+ annual. He's retired and I think his pension is 80k a year.

My little sister has three or four degrees and works for the federal government. She makes 58k a year after working for them for almost two years.

My husband has a degree in sociology and is a certified medical coder. He's been working 12 years for a group of anesthesiologists. He makes maybe 40k tops.

I'm a college drop out. I've got a record. I'm on some watch lists. I screwed up when I was a kid in pretty much every possible way. But I'm very, very, very good with computers. I just got hired as an IT consultant for 55k, after four years of doing support for Microsoft.
Que miras, cuando la luz se va?
Tsureai
Daughter of the DarkStar
Daughter of the DarkStar

Postby Daggertooth on Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:56 am

Tsureai wrote: I just got hired as an IT consultant for 55k, after four years of doing support for Microsoft.

Congratulations on that. Hope it'll prove to be a fun job.

Good with computers...watch list...a hacker of some sort? Wait, don't you have an RP character that's super cyber insane computer wiz type scary?

My sister is some sort of engineer that just got out of college with a B.S. degree. Just got hired at some steel mill type place, starting pay about $70,000. But then she had Freshman internships that paid more than I ever made with my B.S. and several of her interviews in the industry involved them flying her somewhere and paying for a hotel. I'm lucky if I get a phone interview.

lunaticked wrote:Now this is totally something I want to hear more about. Honestly, there's all these neat sounding jobs out there that one never learns about. Always had an interest in park work, conservation and whatnot, but the details were never there.

Well i've only done seasonal work in all this, but I have had a blast. One of my favorite jobs was as a Park ranger in North Carolina. They gave me my own island and an ATV and told me to monitor shore birds and sea turtles. The place was riddled with several different types of biting insects though. Gnats would get me in the morning while green heads and black flies would chase me around. I stayed away from the grassy areas, even hiked an extra ten minutes or more to go around certain areas, just to avoid the hoards of mosquitoes.

I figure the insects are just part of the job though. There are very few places where you don't have to deal with them. At least we don't have terrestrial leeches...though after I got used to them they did become a source of entertainment. :D
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Lunaticked on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Daggertooth wrote:
Tsureai wrote:I figure the insects are just part of the job though. There are very few places where you don't have to deal with them. At least we don't have terrestrial leeches...though after I got used to them they did become a source of entertainment. :D

Despite the bugs, total envy of your park rangering.

Bugs wouldn't be so bad if two things happened...

1. Bug repellent kept them from swarming around your face.
2. The smell didn't cause me instant physical pain, followed by headaches after prolonged exposure, and then awful friction burns on my body from the intense scrubbing required to remove every last trace of it that my nose can pick up.

....lousy bug repellent.

Where were you that terrestrial leeches were an issue? Thought that was a mainly southeast Asia thing.
Lunaticked
Shifter Darkly
Shifter Darkly

Postby Daggertooth on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Lunaticked wrote:1. Bug repellent kept them from swarming around your face.
2. The smell didn't cause me instant physical pain, followed by headaches after prolonged exposure, and then awful friction burns on my body from the intense scrubbing required to remove every last trace of it that my nose can pick up.

....lousy bug repellent.

Bug spray is bad stuff. The most effective stuff is Deet, and it will melt plastic. Professors who work in the new world tropics have to swim in that stuff to keep the nasty parasites away. After long term exposure many of them develop gulf war syndrome type symptoms.

Most of the time I just deal with the insects. There are times and places where they become really bad, but usually thats seasonal.

Lunaticked wrote:Where were you that terrestrial leeches were an issue? Thought that was a mainly southeast Asia thing.

Well they might exist elsewhere, though I wouldn't know for sure. I encountered them on the island of Borneo. Worked studying exploding ants in Brunei where I first met the leech. Didn't see hoards until I went backpacking around the kelabit highlands in Malaysia. There the big brown leeches dominated the ground, moving towards you when you rested. Those were easy to deal with for the most part, the tiger leeches were a bit more problematic. They'd hide under leaves and branches and jump on you as you brushed by them.

Good times.
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Tsureai on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Daggertooth wrote:Well they might exist elsewhere, though I wouldn't know for sure. I encountered them on the island of Borneo. Worked studying exploding ants in Brunei where I first met the leech. Didn't see hoards until I went backpacking around the kelabit highlands in Malaysia. There the big brown leeches dominated the ground, moving towards you when you rested. Those were easy to deal with for the most part, the tiger leeches were a bit more problematic. They'd hide under leaves and branches and jump on you as you brushed by them.

Good times.

Dear god I don't think I'll sleep for weeks
Que miras, cuando la luz se va?
Tsureai
Daughter of the DarkStar
Daughter of the DarkStar

Postby Lupis on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Tiger...leeches...

I know that they're not /anything/ like the mental image I got just from the name...but damn...that's a hell of a mental image.
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Penumbra on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Nnnh, school is the reason I haven't been around lately. I'm in a research lab this semester and that eats up a chunk of my free time to do whatever or nap, so I have to wait until everything is over with before I can take a nap, but then my remaining free time is usually taken up by homework. Then I don't really feel like doing anything except watching TV or talking to people on AIM. After this semester is over with, I'll have more free time, so I'll be around more. Until then, I'm gonna be AWOL. :/

Also, all-nighters suck ass.
Oh god, I'm engaged to a Douglas fir.
Penumbra
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Update!

Postby Daggertooth on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:55 pm

New Semester's half way over and all that. School getting better for anybody? Shadowsmyst have and easier class to teach? SuicideLady taking the good Astronomy classes?

Well I didn't finish my Masters before this semester. So i had to pay another $1000 for yet another no class 1 credit semester. Oops i guess. I'll be done soon, well I better...very close to running completely out of money. When that happens, well my backup plan is living completely off my credit card. Bad plan I know, but It'll keep me alive for many many months.

The job market is surprisingly limited at the moment. Oh I know people talked about the economy and lack of jobs, but by this time last year I had applied to almost 100 jobs. This time around I only have about 25 jobs applied for and they are the below average type. All these are government style USAjobs type jobs....mostly seasonal that'll keep me in the outdoors. Looks like I'll have to suck in my pride and apply to some of the lower grade government jobs as well as anything in the private sector.
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Suicidal Lady on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:11 am

Myup, still taking the astro classes. My semester is MUCH better without taking 5 physics courses. I actually get to sleep. I don't know how I survived last semester, honestly. This time I am taking 1 astrophysics course, 2 physics courses, a japanese course, and independent research. I have a really nice schedule now.

I hope you find a good job Dagger. Sucks that you didn't finish your masters. What will your masters be in?
~Reach for the moon, because if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
If this sig looks blue to you, you are moving towards your screen to fast
*Physics humor, couldn't help myself*
Suicidal Lady
Shifting Champion
Shifting Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Open forum