Hulk angry? Hulk smash?

For the discussion of general affairs of the site or whatever you want to talk about. No really, talk about anything you like.

Re: Hulk angry? Hulk smash?

Postby Langschwert on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:12 am

What grinds my nerves to fine powder these days usually comes in the form of cars and the people who drive them.

Birmingham, Alabama has some of the worst drivers I've ever seen. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've caught myself yelling to the top of my lungs in the car while driving around the Birmingham metro in the last 2 1/2 years. The main thing that makes my eye twitch every time I get in the car is the inconsistency of driving.

My hometown is a northern suburb of Atlanta, Georgia. So I'm no stranger to reckless, crazy driving. However, what can be said for Atlanta driving is that it is consistent. When you drive in the Atlanta metro, you know everyone is going to be driving fast, aggressive, and be changing lanes constantly. This isn't the case in Birmingham.

For instance on the interstate I'm constantly yelling in my car because Birmingham drivers are doing 5 miles under the speed limit on the interstate in the far left-hand lane while speeding past me about 15 miles over the speed limit in the right lane. When you exit off onto city streets it gets worse I've seen drivers regularly (1) Not use turn signals (a big pet peeve of mine) to change lanes when there is very little room for error, (2) Turn the wrong way down a one-way street, (3) sit in the middle of the street instead of pulling over when they have car issues, and let's not forget (4) not moving for a good 3 seconds in a turn lane when they are at the front of the line.

The only thing I hate worse than the drivers are the roads. Birmingham has huge potholes that I'm constantly swerving to avoid (some of these things seriously must lead to the land of the lost). A little sidenote: the county that houses Birmingham went into Bankruptcy late last year so the city basically has no money. It's okay because the quality of the roads hasn't gotten much worse. The traffic signals were all programmed by someone who hates drivers because there are very few times I don't get caught by every-single-one. I live 7.7 miles from my school and it still takes me at least twenty minutes to get to school on average at non-peak traffic hours.

Long story short- I'll be glad to see Birmingham in my rear-view mirror in 3 months.
Langschwert
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Can you paint me a Birmingham....

Postby Daggertooth on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Yeah, I can see bad drivers as a pet peeve. I'm not really prone to road rage, but there are certain types of drivers that I don't like. Primarily those who feel entitled to the road. I blame Californians mostly. The kind of folk that'll pass you on the shoulder. I've even seen one in an SUV go off road around construction cones and barricades just because they didn't want to wait for a construction stop light.

I don't like slow people in the fast lane. If I am in the fast lane I don't like folks zooming up to me going 30mph over, then flash and honk until I pull over. I'm more likely to slow down if you do that.

I'm slightly annoyed when a 16 wheeler going 40mph decides to pass another going 39mph on a road with an 85mph speed limit.

And I don't like being stuck behind flat landers. Basically folks who are scared of canyon driving. I'll go around corners and curves at a little over the recommended speed, while they'll go 20mph under. Can't pass them in the canyon cause it's all windy narrow roads. Can't pass them with passing lanes because passing lanes are on the flat strait aways where they feel comfortable to go the speed limit. End result is being stuck behind a slow poke for six hours. X_X
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Previous

Return to Open forum