writer's block

For the discussion of general affairs of the site or whatever you want to talk about. No really, talk about anything you like.

writer's block

Postby artguy50 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:07 pm

i been having truble writing as of late and need some help out of my block?
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Re: writer's block

Postby ShadowsMyst on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:03 pm

I suffer from artblock sometimes, even when I know what it is I need to draw. Its just like it won't come out of my hands. Some things I've learned being a professional creative to get over blocks:

1-Relax: If I get myself up tight about not being able to draw/write, I do something else until I feel calmer, then return to what I was doing. It requires a bit of self awareness though or its easy to just get lost in something for far too long. My drug of choice is usually anime or chatting/RPing. I generally manage my stress through microbreaks. Taking many little breaks to do something else between actual work. Too long and I lose my mojo, but if I take five mins here, five mins there, I can keep my brain happy and pump work out. Its a bit of a balancing act though, and not everyone can do it well. I suspect I've got a little ADD going on, and I know other ADD creatives who use this method of managing their focus.

2-Listen to music: I find music very creatively stimulating, and I have created playlists of certain music genres that go along with the scene I'm trying to write. For example, I listen to heavier industrial/techno/rock when I'm doing a fight scene. It helps me focus the right sort of creative energy I need.

3-Don't try to write it in order: I find I can't generally do this. I don't do linear, my brain doesn't work like that. So I write down what I have, in point form if I must, just to shit the ideas out so I can come back to it later and expand on it when I'm feeling more inspired. But if you've got this certain scene burning in your head, write it down, don't worry that its out of place. You can cut and paste it in later, just get it out for now.

4-Don't be afraid of revisions: don't worry about getting it perfect, give yourself permission to screw it up. You can always revise/smooth/fix it later after everything has all been barfed out of your brain. The goal is to spew your ideas on to paper. Making it pretty/ordered/edited comes later. Don't worry if there are blanks such as --battle scene: flesh out later, so and so wins/loses---, jut make sure you get whatever down you can, and then put it down.

5-Don't make writing a chore: Writing should be fun. If you make it a chore or feel scared/stressed/panicked when you do it, your brain will get scared/panicked/stressed and you'll teach it that writing isn't fun, its scary. Then your brain will just lock up and not do anything. One of the great secrets to anything creative is to RELAX. I learned this from music. :P

6-Hang out with other creative people: It can be incredibly invigorating to hang out with other creative people and listen to them share their work/process. I went to a drawing class recently, life drawing ( I haven't done it for like over a decade) And goddamn if I wasn't jazzed all to hell when I left. Watching and participating with all sorts of other artists was amazing. Plus I didn't have a teacher hanging over me which really let me focus on what I wanted. Which was awesome. I've also been spending time doing creative things with Che, learning new skills, and it helps me get that creative energy flowing.

7- Remove obstacles to your creativity: If you have things that hold you back from creating, try to address them. I have issues with having obligations that suck my time away, or make me uptight or nervous. I'm trying to clean up as many as I can, but when they build up (back logged commissions are a good example), I find myself unable to do anything easily. I get super up tight about it, and that makes me tense, and that is the opposite of the way I need to be to create. Before I got my office, I also had issues with space. No private area, the TV was on, people playing Xbox or chatting on cellphones around me. I need quiet and privacy. I can't have a TV on, too many distractions. Try to find yourself a creative space, and go there when you need to be creative. Make it your haven away from distractions, noise, people. Put inspirations around you, reduce clutter.

8 - Know when to say 'fuck it' and go do something physical: There are times when you struggle and struggle to get something done and its just not happening. You have to know when to say 'fuck it' and go do something else for a while. Don't drop it entirely, but go do something totally different; ie: physical instead of mental. Even if its cleaning your room, giving the dog a bath, making dinner, unloading the dishwasher, going for a walk, vacuum, mowing the lawn, anything else that is NOT creative at all bur rather physical. Sometimes, when you are doing menial shit, working your body instead of your mind, it can help dislodge the block because you aren't sitting in front of that screen. This trick REALLY doesn't work if you just shift to something else on the computer or go play video games cuz you are sitting on your ass. You need to work off some physical steam, work off the nervous energy that's accumulated. We live such sedentary lives generally speaking that we absolutely NEED physical time to work off stress and pent up energy. It doesn't matter if its through housework, working out, playing DDR, or playing Frisbee. Get your ass up and moving. This will help your body relax, and thus your mind will be able to relax when the body isn't all full of piss and vinegar. Plus it helps you keep yourself healthy and balanced which is also important to creativity. It's hard to be creative when you are always sick and stressed out. My best stuff for Shifters used to come out of walking my dog every day. I'd spend an hour and a half walking through the woods with my dog, thinking about shifters stuff.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby drakanor on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:56 pm

Or heck send me what you have I will fill in what I see and fact check later XD
drakanor
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby artguy50 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:25 pm

ShadowsMyst wrote:I suffer from artblock sometimes, even when I know what it is I need to draw. Its just like it won't come out of my hands. Some things I've learned being a professional creative to get over blocks:

1-Relax: If I get myself up tight about not being able to draw/write, I do something else until I feel calmer, then return to what I was doing. It requires a bit of self awareness though or its easy to just get lost in something for far too long. My drug of choice is usually anime or chatting/RPing. I generally manage my stress through microbreaks. Taking many little breaks to do something else between actual work. Too long and I lose my mojo, but if I take five mins here, five mins there, I can keep my brain happy and pump work out. Its a bit of a balancing act though, and not everyone can do it well. I suspect I've got a little ADD going on, and I know other ADD creatives who use this method of managing their focus.

2-Listen to music: I find music very creatively stimulating, and I have created playlists of certain music genres that go along with the scene I'm trying to write. For example, I listen to heavier industrial/techno/rock when I'm doing a fight scene. It helps me focus the right sort of creative energy I need.

3-Don't try to write it in order: I find I can't generally do this. I don't do linear, my brain doesn't work like that. So I write down what I have, in point form if I must, just to shit the ideas out so I can come back to it later and expand on it when I'm feeling more inspired. But if you've got this certain scene burning in your head, write it down, don't worry that its out of place. You can cut and paste it in later, just get it out for now.

4-Don't be afraid of revisions: don't worry about getting it perfect, give yourself permission to screw it up. You can always revise/smooth/fix it later after everything has all been barfed out of your brain. The goal is to spew your ideas on to paper. Making it pretty/ordered/edited comes later. Don't worry if there are blanks such as --battle scene: flesh out later, so and so wins/loses---, jut make sure you get whatever down you can, and then put it down.

5-Don't make writing a chore: Writing should be fun. If you make it a chore or feel scared/stressed/panicked when you do it, your brain will get scared/panicked/stressed and you'll teach it that writing isn't fun, its scary. Then your brain will just lock up and not do anything. One of the great secrets to anything creative is to RELAX. I learned this from music. :P

6-Hang out with other creative people: It can be incredibly invigorating to hang out with other creative people and listen to them share their work/process. I went to a drawing class recently, life drawing ( I haven't done it for like over a decade) And goddamn if I wasn't jazzed all to hell when I left. Watching and participating with all sorts of other artists was amazing. Plus I didn't have a teacher hanging over me which really let me focus on what I wanted. Which was awesome. I've also been spending time doing creative things with Che, learning new skills, and it helps me get that creative energy flowing.

7- Remove obstacles to your creativity: If you have things that hold you back from creating, try to address them. I have issues with having obligations that suck my time away, or make me uptight or nervous. I'm trying to clean up as many as I can, but when they build up (back logged commissions are a good example), I find myself unable to do anything easily. I get super up tight about it, and that makes me tense, and that is the opposite of the way I need to be to create. Before I got my office, I also had issues with space. No private area, the TV was on, people playing Xbox or chatting on cellphones around me. I need quiet and privacy. I can't have a TV on, too many distractions. Try to find yourself a creative space, and go there when you need to be creative. Make it your haven away from distractions, noise, people. Put inspirations around you, reduce clutter.

8 - Know when to say 'fuck it' and go do something physical: There are times when you struggle and struggle to get something done and its just not happening. You have to know when to say 'fuck it' and go do something else for a while. Don't drop it entirely, but go do something totally different; ie: physical instead of mental. Even if its cleaning your room, giving the dog a bath, making dinner, unloading the dishwasher, going for a walk, vacuum, mowing the lawn, anything else that is NOT creative at all bur rather physical. Sometimes, when you are doing menial shit, working your body instead of your mind, it can help dislodge the block because you aren't sitting in front of that screen. This trick REALLY doesn't work if you just shift to something else on the computer or go play video games cuz you are sitting on your ass. You need to work off some physical steam, work off the nervous energy that's accumulated. We live such sedentary lives generally speaking that we absolutely NEED physical time to work off stress and pent up energy. It doesn't matter if its through housework, working out, playing DDR, or playing Frisbee. Get your ass up and moving. This will help your body relax, and thus your mind will be able to relax when the body isn't all full of piss and vinegar. Plus it helps you keep yourself healthy and balanced which is also important to creativity. It's hard to be creative when you are always sick and stressed out. My best stuff for Shifters used to come out of walking my dog every day. I'd spend an hour and a half walking through the woods with my dog, thinking about shifters stuff.

thank you this was vary informative
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Ryvic on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:39 am

Another useful tip would be to write in reverse. Picture where you want the story, scene or chapter to end. Then work backwards from that ending. I find it a lot easier to ask myself "what would happen just before this?" then "where should this go next?".
Ryvic
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Return to Open forum