I DONT NEED DRUGS TO BE A WRITER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the discussion of general affairs of the site or whatever you want to talk about. No really, talk about anything you like.

I DONT NEED DRUGS TO BE A WRITER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby artguy50 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:07 pm

last night I had a vary heated argument about my friend's use of the drug marijuana, i wanted him to stop using it as its bad for you. he said that all of that was BS because all of the reports of it being bad is from the gov and he thinks that everything the gov says is BS. so i told him about the long term and short term effects of it but said that was BS too because "some guy told him so" and than said I was "saying it was bad because it was bad" and that "90% of all artist do it", when i asked that he's than got my personal life involved. he said he had lived more in six month than i will ever live and its because of weed and his job at the CCC. he says he never sees me having fun or happy (well his vrson of fun and happy) and that i should learn to be calm and relaxed with pot and that my life is mush better than his and so I should stop telling to stop and the only thing it does is make you more creative and brings out your "natural self"

if its true that all artist had to have weed or pot or whatever the fuck you can called im done as a writer, if creative is just something you get out of a drug than im out, pleast someone tell me this is not true than i have to be some stoner to be a writer.
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Re: I DONT NEED DRUGS TO BE A WRITER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Gorble on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:39 pm

Ah yes cannabis. Never smoked the stuff myself and I'm only familiar with the dead skunk smell of the cheap stuff that can pop up in the hallways of my apartment complex on occasion. Oddly my roommate is allergic seemingly to the stuff and actually gets migraines from the smell alone. Then again considering the overall skunkweed that seems to be used around here at times I have to say it can make me feel sick as well.

The habit forming nature of cannabis and drug dependence of it are actual documented effects and pretty much irrefutable at this point. There's also pretty good data backing up the idea that at least in adolescence and young adults that use causes harm in neural connectivity in certain areas of the brain and impair intelligence, memory, and attention. Oddly the facts of its long term effects on intelligence, memory, respiratory functions and the possible relationship of cannabis use to mental disorders such as schizophrenia, psychosis, depersonalization disorder and depression are still under discussion. The various studies have varied widely and findings have both supported and refuted claims for both sides of the issue.

Overall this just seems like you mostly venting over a pretty personal life. But to answer you No most artists, including myself that I have personally met don't use weed.

So yeah you don't need to be a stoner to write. Frankly most of your friend's arguments for weed can easily be stripped out and used to support anything. "You aren't fun or happy like me cause you don't have Jesus in your life." "You aren't really alive until you run with the bulls." Basically it's just pure personal opinion and perception being toted as a fact. It's not really credible and displays an annoying amount of ignorance.

Though a bit of food for thought as it were...
Chaos, creativity, and substance abuse: the nonlinear dynamics of choice.
Zausner T.
Source
Saybrook University, San Francisco, CA, USA.
Abstract
Artists create their work in conditions of disequilibrium, states of creative chaos that may appear turbulent but are capable of bringing forth new order. By absorbing information from the environment and discharging it negentropically as new work, artists can be modeled as dissipative systems. A characteristic of chaotic systems is a heightened sensitivity to stimuli, which can generate either positive experiences or negative ones that can lead some artists to substance abuse and misguided searches for a creative chaos. Alcohol and drug use along with inadequately addressed co-occurring emotional disorders interfere with artists' quest for the nonlinearity of creativity. Instead, metaphorically modeled by a limit cycle of addiction and then a spiral to disorder, the joys of a creative chaos become an elusive chimera for them rather than a fulfilling experience. Untreated mental illness and addiction to substances have shortened the lives of artists such as Vincent Van Gogh, Frida Kahlo, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, and Jackson Pollock, all of whom committed suicide. In contrast Edvard Munch and John Callahan, who chose to address their emotional problems and substance abuse, continued to live and remain creative. Choosing to access previously avoided moments of pain can activate the nonlinear power of self-transformation.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Sterling on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Well... I ask a simple question. Did you enjoy the writing I've done so far on this forum?
I brace this with a simple point. I don't do drugs. Smoked MJ twice, never got anything out of it, and never did it again. That was some twenty years ago now.

Yer fried is arguing from the wrong side. It appears that he just likes it and will say or do anything to justify that point so he can be 'correct'.

No, you don't need it. Trust in yourself. You'll do fine.
~
Sterling

"Naive wishing for peace is the surest possible way to invite an aggressor."
Sterling
Shifter Darkly
Shifter Darkly

Postby artguy50 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:09 pm

thank you for replying, yes im venting about my friend who i have alot of stuff to workout and he knows how do dive & dodge questions and just press my buttons to the point were i can't think straight, hell i know what weed does to you but i was just so piss off and he just keened... fuck why the fuck im i even friend's with this asshole

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby artguy50 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:40 pm

Sterling wrote:Well... I ask a simple question. Did you enjoy the writing I've done so far on this forum?
I brace this with a simple point. I don't do drugs. Smoked MJ twice, never got anything out of it, and never did it again. That was some twenty years ago now.

Yer fried is arguing from the wrong side. It appears that he just likes it and will say or do anything to justify that point so he can be 'correct'.

No, you don't need it. Trust in yourself. You'll do fine.

well in that case i think i mite be loseing a "friend" after all

artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Sterling on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:11 pm

That'd be sad, but perhaps for the best. It does depend on your personal relationship beyond the simple argument.

Remember, friends are the people you keep because they're valuable, a part of you that you need in another body, someone that relates to you and that you relate to sometimes on levels you don't even realize. A friend will agree to disagree with you and be just fine with that. They understand.

I do hope it works out with you.
~
Sterling

"Naive wishing for peace is the surest possible way to invite an aggressor."
Sterling
Shifter Darkly
Shifter Darkly

Postby Daggertooth on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:15 am

There are benefits to marijuana. Most of the reports i've heard and read about seem to be focused on pain relief and easing some medical symptoms. The government does have reports out that have some negative results with regard to the drug, but that stems from years of analysis where it was forbidden to report on any positive effects. Over all, it seems that most research indicates marijuana has positive effects when taken properly but can be abused like any other drug.

I did have a Stonner roommate for a while. She had been smoking pot excessively every day since she was about 14. She was mostly normal...but occasionally I'd notice that she wasn't quite right or all there mentally. Not sure if that was the pot or anything else, and a sample size of 1 isn't worth spit, but I'd wager a guess that excessive overuse is not healthy.

As to your delema, no, you don't need drugs to be a writer. I agree with Gorble that this sounds like someone just toting personal opinion as fact. Some people might claim to be inspired by it, and that might be true in the same way that hike to the tallest peak will inspire me. Mostly psychological I would think...though you haven't lived till you'ved hiked to the tallest peak. ;)
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Return to Open forum