Google+

For the discussion of general affairs of the site or whatever you want to talk about. No really, talk about anything you like.

Google+

Postby Daggertooth on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Hey all,

Anyone have experience with Google+? My ranch has launched a whole social media campaign and I've got to do some of the maintenance. We have a website a facebook page and a Google+ page.

The webpage is simple...we've got some really smart web folks working on that. Facebook...well I have my own facebook so after figuring out the nuances of a "page" I think things are going smoothly. The Google+.....I can't really figure the point really. First, it seems basically the same as facebook except that there's practically nobody using it. I searched for various associations that have facebook pages...and they don't seem to have google+. I have to admit that I'm still learning the nuances of circles...but it does seem neat. Youtube is important for my ranch, but I can't attach it to a business page so the utility isn't quite there (though I hear they are working on it).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with google+ and how much you like it. I have that google+ page done...but haven't advertised it to my constituents yet and wonder if I should work on maintaining both or just pick facebook.

I'm going to avoid twitter if I can help it.....
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Re: Google+

Postby Lupis on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:08 am

I have by and large avoided Google+. I think XKCD summed it up in a simple message: "Hey! Want to use Google+?" "What is it?" "It's like Facebook!" "Why would I want to use it?" "It's not Facebook!"

I'm paraphrasing...but yeah. It was Google trying to make a social media site...but since it was no improvement over Facebook, it was launched to a collective "meh."
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby ShadowsMyst on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:43 am

Google + does have a dedicated audience, and for those that use it, because the rabble at large has avoided it, it tends to be more content rich with a higher signal to noise ratio than other options like facebook and twitter.

Personally I've found G+ business pages aren't really that useful, but the personal G+ account can gain a following. But again, its much more about relevancy.

In terms of social media for a business however, you need to consider your audience, and where they are and go where they live. You have to hunt THEM down, and no matter what social media you use, you need to be active in gaining followers if you want to make the most of it. Just because you have a social media page, doesn't mean people will come to you.

If you want some really cool stats about G+, check out http://www.circlecount.com.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Daggertooth on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:11 am

@Lupis. I'll agree with you there. I was at a workshop just last week and I asked several people if they had heard of google+. Everyone said no and asked what it was. The only way I could describe it was as another facebook.

ShadowsMyst wrote:Google + does have a dedicated audience, and for those that use it, because the rabble at large has avoided it, it tends to be more content rich with a higher signal to noise ratio than other options like facebook and twitter.

Well I guess I just have to stick with it and see if anything happens. We've started advertising it on the website already, so I guess I better advertise it. I have a mailing list with over 600 people that I send a quarterly newletter to. I already sent them all the facebook page, I suppose I'll send out the google+ info and see if it attracts anyone. Right now I'm still the only circle person attached to the page.

ShadowsMyst wrote:In terms of social media for a business however, you need to consider your audience, and where they are and go where they live. You have to hunt THEM down, and no matter what social media you use, you need to be active in gaining followers if you want to make the most of it. Just because you have a social media page, doesn't mean people will come to you.

Yeah, I'll need to work on that. Currently trying to juggle actively hunting down our constituents with having regularly updated content. It's not like we host a workshop everyday...but I think if I share interesting stories from like minded pages then we might be able to update our status at least once a week. My constituents are range folk, so a mix of ranchers, educators, and federal workers. Good mix, though the ranchers are a little harder to track down since many of the old-timers may or may not have jumped on the whole internet bandwagon.
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Return to Open forum