@ lwb0382y

For the discussion of general affairs of the site or whatever you want to talk about. No really, talk about anything you like.

@ lwb0382y

Postby KitsuneSefam on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:43 am

We don't want to buy your MMORPG gold shit, so stop spamming before someone goes on a killing spree ok?
KitsuneSefam
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Re: @ lwb0382y

Postby Gorble on Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:46 pm

It's a bot they spam forums and SM hasn't been able to find something that will work for her. I try to help maintain by cleaning out the posts and banning the account though I think SM bans the IP.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Drucchi on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Thank god.

That bot was damm annoying.
Drucchi
Shifter Darkly
Shifter Darkly

Postby KitsuneSefam on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:02 am

Gorble wrote:It's a bot they spam forums

Lol captain obvious

Gorble wrote:and SM hasn't been able to find something that will work for her. I try to help maintain by cleaning out the posts and banning the account though I think SM bans the IP.

Banning the IP is a tad useless, especially if the guy or the girl keeps going under a proxy.
KitsuneSefam
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby ShadowsMyst on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:08 am

I'm not sure that they are all bots, some for sure, others might be actual people behind a screen. But yeah, they are spammers in anycase, and I don't always catch them right away, particularly on weekends. Fortunately I can delete all their posts and their accounts and ban them in a couple of clicks from the control panel, but gorbs can ban em until I can get to the purging, and I appreciate it.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby KitsuneSefam on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:36 pm

Anyone willing to waste a lot of time could make 10 accounts with inboxes like http://www.mailinator.com/index.jsp and then nuke the forum by using those 10 accounts at once behind 10 different webproxies.

Make sure to ban those from email registrations.
KitsuneSefam
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Orev on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:28 am

There's so many mail servers like that, though, that it is almost futile. It's better overall to find a method within the forum that makes it unique from others, and thus stops registration.

The kaerwyn.org forum does this well. At the bottom of most pages is this:
Just a field that you need to fill out to prove to us that you're a real person and not a fucking spambot. Just type "kaerwyn"

It's just a text field, but only a human will understands its import, and you could easily set it to pick random words if someone modifies a bot for that method, thus making registration near impossible unless the user is human.
Did you want a witty comment?
Orev
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby ShadowsMyst on Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:51 pm

Which is of course 'easy' if one is code-inclined, which, being an artistic sort, am not. I used to have a mod that was EXCELLENT, but it hasn't been upgraded to this version of the board, so I can't fudge it back in because I suck and can't actually fix the problems. This is also a different type of board than the Kaerwyn boards I believe. I think Jakkal is using Vbulletin, not PHPbb.

I'm still keeping my eye out for better spambot detection mods, but I haven't seen one yet that is as good as the last one I found and easy enough for me to install without boning the whole board and database.

So I'll just delete them when I see them pop up.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby KitsuneSefam on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:33 am

Orev wrote:The kaerwyn.org forum does this well. At the bottom of most pages is this:
Just a field that you need to fill out to prove to us that you're a real person and not a fucking spambot. Just type "kaerwyn"

With Jakkal, you don't need spambots :lol: , plus she have a function to choose someone to pick on, most likely the newbies.

And earlier i was talking about humans(when talking about mailinator and webproxies)
KitsuneSefam
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Eagle101 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:18 am

KitsuneSefam wrote:With Jakkal, you don't need spambots :lol: , plus she have a function to choose someone to pick on, most likely the newbies.

Have a bad time on Kaerwyn? Jakkal and all the other ops/mods are quite welcoming if you follow the rules -.-

KitsuneSefam wrote:And earlier i was talking about humans(when talking about mailinator and webproxies)

Understandable, but what about people that need temporary accounts in case they have a problem like I did with this account? (Mail would not send to my gmail, so I could not reset my password. Not everyone will register a new account when they can use a temporary inbox)
Did you want a witty comment?
If you want faster communication than the forums PM system, my MSN handle is lordravens (at) gmail (dot) com
Eagle101
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Next

Return to Open forum