Dirty Martin's Burgers and Beer

The home of industry, the lowerclass and the poor, the undercity exists under the sprawl of the city above. In the never ending night, people struggle to eek out meager existences in places where even the law fears to go. It is a haven for monsters, of the mundane criminal variety and the exotic bloodsucking variety. Dirty, neglected, crumbling, many areas are practically uninhabitable thanks to faulty vents, loss of power, or simply unstable. Below this level is Tartarus, and that is where even angels fear to tread.

Re: Dirty Martin's Burgers and Beer

Postby Eidolon on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Erick quirks a brow as Jack begins spouting off knowledge about Joe and his cases. Erick shoots the look Joe's way. Guy's in over his head.

"Your old case files must be public record," he says to Joe. Erick may have had a bit to drink, and it will loosen his tongue, but that doesn't mean Jack will necessarily like what Erick has to say.

"So you're thinking there's a conspiracy? A cover-up? Not a very good one if you found his public case files complaining about a cover-up," Erick says, looking the reporter up and down.

"Look, Jack. I know you're a reporter, and it's your job to have a vivid imagination. But you're investigating some dangerous stuff. I don't know about any vamp gangs, but there are plenty of cyber-freaks and rough types who won't hesitate to turn you into a statistic. So be careful. Alright? Thanks for the drinks."

And nothing at all about Erick's delivery suggests that it's a threat, but the simplicity of his thanks signals the end - at least of his part - of the discussion.

Erick lets Alara go, a little miffed that their celebration has been cut short, but saying nothing. Since Jack doesn't seem to be freaking out, Erick won't either. But Erick trusts that Alara will have the sense to handle whatever she encounters.

"Ya alright back there?" he asks Amy over his shoulder, reaching back with a hand to gently scratch her in the belly or side, whichever he can get at.

"And you alright?" he asks Joe intently, watching the Shifter.
Last edited by Eidolon on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Characters
Erick
Eidolon
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Postby Bubbanator505 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:26 pm

If this guy is telling the truth then why does my gut say otherwise? I sense he knows something, but I need to play the cards right. But what? He left way too early that is a sign he wanted that information secret. Just one comment and go. He has been doing this for a long time though. No unconscious non-verbal communication cues. Not even dilation of pupils. Not going to press him though. Not worth f***ing with the bartender/bouncer's boyfriend. But he knows something... heheheh.... Jack one day your curiosity will kill you. Worth giving them free drinks.

"Thanks for the warning, but sadly it's not vivid imagination. I wish it was but there is too many coincidences. Enjoy the drinks."

Jack sits down in the chair in front of Cara and you can see him chuckle under his breath. People can tell he is in deep thought, but is silent.
----
Edit 1: Fixed Typos

Edit 2: Using it as a note to say will not be back until Monday. Let's just say it involves a thesis and me using you all for my test subjects. Will write it in a forum page later. :twisted:
Bubbanator505
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Lupis on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:52 am

Joe grunted softly, looking at the third glass in his hand, already empty. He didn't even remember drinking it. "Public record...hell. Those fucking cases made me the laughingstock of the entire department, and got me in deeper and deeper shit when I just didn't give up." He stares somewhat blearily after Jack. At least, he thinks that it's Jack. After three of those things, he could be staring at a barstool. "There wasn't any conspiracy to cover that shit up. They were fucking dead ends. The bosses had enough cases that they needed dealt with that they didn't want me chasing dead ends all over town and wasting the department's time."

Officially, that was all true. Joe had always wondered, though...he grimaced, setting down the empty glass to the ringing of the shot glass rattling around inside, watching Jack walk away. Erick's words were still in his ears, warning the reporter about the dangers of gangers and cyberpsychos. Joe wanted to say more, something that would hopefully actually dissuade Jack from continuing down the path he was following, but he could see that for better or worse, the bit was well and truly between the reporter's teeth on this one. Joe just got the horrible impression that one day he was going to find Jack just inside the entrance to an alleyway with his throat torn out, another picture on a wall of unsolved deaths.

"And you alright?"

Joe blinks back over to Erick, pulled out of morose thoughts. He hadn't been drunk in so long...maybe he was a melancholy drunk? He wouldn't get angry, he wouldn't get happy, he would just reminisce on the past and think of all the people he couldn't help? Or was that all Jack's doing? "Me? Shit...I dunno, man. I just can't shake the feeling that reporter's gonna wind up gutted..."
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Tsureai on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Amy blushes brightly as Ericks hand roams up her side, and her fingers squeeze at his shoulders. "I hate bein surprised like that." she admits quietly. "You know how I get in front of crowds? I kinda feel the same way about having my picture taken. Specially by strangers."

Downstairs, Jessi brings them a pitcher of ice and some plastic bags.
Que miras, cuando la luz se va?
Tsureai
Daughter of the DarkStar
Daughter of the DarkStar

Postby Bubbanator505 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Oh for Fucks sakes gut instincts. Now you decide to say there is more to Joe's story. Should I press him harder? Nah too drunk. Damn those drinks are strong. I can smell them from here. Brenner is concerned about my well being. He is suffering from guilty conscience/PTSD. Sigh he can't give up the fact that he failed his victims. Just like I failed her... God what should I do?

Jack pulls his PDA out and look at a picture of her old partner.

What should I do ma'am? I am nowhere near as great as you were. I am just a sheep that has gone stray from the flock to stare down a wolf. This task is too daunting for me. But I can't turn back from any of this. The dead need their truth revealed.

By now I assume Ill assume get my burger and coffee. I quickly smile again and say "Thank you Jessi. I think I better brace myself for the damage. Hopefully I can afford to keep my clothes and not have to walk out in a wheelbarrow."
Bubbanator505
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Suicidal Lady on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Tuca smiled at Alara. She liked this woman already.

She took Alara's hand and shook it firmly.

"I bet if I joined the circus I could be the main attraction. Or at least the one who greats everyone at the door. Nice to meet you, Alara. My names Cara, but everybody calls me Tuca or Tucs. "

She saw Jessi approaching with the ice and the bags and cracked a pained smile.

"Oh, Ice Ih type, how my bruised nose has longed to meet you once again. It has been far too long since the last meeting of you two. Lemme think, last year's drunk-night-term-paper-plus-finals-grading, a poorly placed planter, and a metal railing brought you two together."

((OOC Nerd fact of the day: Depending on pressure and temperature, water ice actually has several different phases and structures. Normal ice on earth is type Ih, while ice in other places, such as outer space, asteroids, or moons with water on them, Europa and such, can have ice with different structures. My roomie over the summer was studying this stuff, so it is forever stuck in my head))
~Reach for the moon, because if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
If this sig looks blue to you, you are moving towards your screen to fast
*Physics humor, couldn't help myself*
Suicidal Lady
Shifting Champion
Shifting Champion

Postby Gorble on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:58 am

Joe's old phone rings whatever jingle he has set for regular calls, a quick glance only shows that the number is unrecognized. Sadly the same can't be said of the voice that purrs from the speaker.

"Hello Puss'n'boots how is school going? I hope nobody is bullying you. Is it cold? Should I send you another sweater?" came Pam's far to cheerful voice. One the shifter had doubtless been happy not to hear for some time. Like all good things it seems that had come to an eventual end.

"Of course that's not really why I called, no no no. Teasing you is fun and all, but disposable numbers can be expensive I'd think. No you see while the last time I spoke I swore off our little game since it was far too unsporting with you having no clue on how to prove my guilt, well I'm sad to say word got around and somebody is going to start one up again. Of course its going to be a lot more straightforward in identifying it as part of the game. Don't worry since you aren't a cop this won't be your problem. In fact lucky you aren't even the other player chosen. As much as I'd like to see that frown on your face replaced with a smile and a murderous glare."

She chuckles, "Ah so much fun to be had these nights so many things shifting and in the works. Soon it'll all begin and that'll be the end of it don't you think? Can you think of such things? No no probably not. Your hands are too busy trying to white knuckle the wheel... even as it goes over the cliff."
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Lupis on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:21 am

Joe blinked as his old phone rang. He hardly used the old thing anymore, but enough of his old friends still knew the number that he kept it around in case of a call from one of them...and truth be told, he felt weird using his MA-issued phone for anything besides MA business. But a call from an old friend? He managed a small smile, despite his trepidations regarding Jack, as he brought the phone up to his ear. "H'yello."

"Hello Puss'n'boots how is school going? I hope nobody is bullying you. Is it cold? Should I send you another sweater?"

At the first words slithering their way out of the earpiece of his phone, Joe stiffened. It had been an eternity since he'd heard that voice. A wonderfully pleasant eternity, even including training that ground him to the bone on a daily basis. But now...Joe stood up quickly from his stool, stalking away from Amy and Erick...though it was up to them if they followed, given Joe's obviously alarmed body language.

"Of course that's not really why I called, no no no. Teasing you is fun and all, but disposable numbers can be expensive I'd think. No you see while the last time I spoke I swore off our little game since it was far too unsporting with you having no clue on how to prove my guilt, well I'm sad to say word got around and somebody is going to start one up again. Of course its going to be a lot more straightforward in identifying it as part of the game. Don't worry since you aren't a cop this won't be your problem. In fact lucky you aren't even the other player chosen. As much as I'd like to see that frown on your face replaced with a smile and a murderous glare."

Joe's eyes immediately flicked to where Jack had departed down the stairs, stiffening. Just how much did the bitch know? Another player? Had she heard that the reporter was poking around into old case files, and if so, how? A snarl built slowly in volume, the noise ugly as it bubbled up through Joe's chest. However, distinct even above the snarl was the sound of the phone's plastic creaking in the Shifter's tightening grip, especially at Pam's pleased chuckle.

"Ah so much fun to be had these nights so many things shifting and in the works. Soon it'll all begin and that'll be the end of it don't you think? Can you think of such things? No no probably not. Your hands are too busy trying to white knuckle the wheel... even as it goes over the cliff."

When Joe spoke, it was low, words spit out around his continued snarl. "Listen, you bitch. You've got your vendetta and your games you want to play with me? I've got a vendetta, too. I'm going to hunt you down. I'm going to find you. And me and my friends are gonna tear you limb from limb. You aren't hurting anyone else, do you hear me?" That bubbling snarl eclipsed his words for a moment. It was clear that alcohol did absolutely nothing for his impulse control. "You're damn right I'm not a cop any more. It means my hands aren't tied by their fucking rules. You start this shit up again, and I'm taking you down."
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Gorble on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:59 am

Joe can hear an almost shocked sounding gasp from the other end of the phone, unfortunately it's followed by the phrase, "Oh yes. You're making me wet."

"I don't have a vendetta against you Puss'n'boots. Oh I'm sure to fight your species, but that's nothing personal that's just our inherent nature. Hunt me down with your friends? Tear me limb from limb? Sounds like a party. A pity you're making this personal, after all I haven't gone after anyone you know yet and there's been ample opportunity for it. After all stuck in training all the time recently you've been even more distant from them. Not able to protect them..."

She sighed, clucking her tongue," You're an open book. Phone, friends, hell your old apartment is pretty roomy, but I don't care for the rent. You're rather premature in your statements about tracking me down as well. So many horrors in this city and you think a company is going to suddenly devote all its resources on the say so of a violent rookie's personal grudge. It's a nice fantasy, but that's hardly how it is working out now. You want me to play that badly kitty? And here I was letting you in on some interesting news. Instead it seems you want me to start hurting loved ones. Would you like me to get off the line so you can start calling up friends and warning them? I'm sure the conversation won't sound the least bit crazy."
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Anthius on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Alara grins at Tuca, as she gives the other girl a firm handshake.

"If you joined the circus I think I'd have to actually go see that. All the same, Nice to meet you Tucs."

She watches Jessi bring the bags and ice and turns back to smile at Cara pulling out a business card with her personal info on it.

"I should get back to my friends, but feel free to give me a call sometime."

With that she turns back making her way back upstairs to the bar with Joe already on the phone she goes to grab another drink as she notices him and his tense posture.

"I take it that's not a good call he's on."
And then the Archangel Anthius spoke to them saying, “Fear shall be vanquished by the Sword of Faith.”
Anthius
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Tales of Shade City RP - Undercity