Anime in General

Discussion, reviews, and general chit chat about our favorite forms of moving picture entertainment. Aside from flipbooks that is.

Anime in General

Postby Daggertooth on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:31 pm

I've actually not seen a lot of anime. For some reason anime has been on my list of things I feel self-conscious about. So despite having a slight interest in them for decades, I've not seen many. My list of shows I've seen includes wolf's rain, escaflone, Outlaw Star, Tri-gun, corpse princess, Full metal alchemist, and now spice and wolf.

I started Witchblade the other day...got to the third episode before kinda loosing interest. Might continue watching it, don't know, but I'd like my shows to have more depth than girls with obvious back problems.

I don't yet have a feel for what I like in an anime yet. Definitely not involved enough to know artists or directors and I've never read any manga.

Does the stuff coming from studio Ghibli count as anime? One of my top two all time favorite cartoons is "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" and I've probably seen every thing out of studio Ghibli, even visited their museum while in Japan. Could never figure out if the term "anime" included all animation from japan or just a sub-set specific to style.

Anyway, I am wondering if you guys have recommendations, and I would love to hear what you think about whatever anime you've been watching.
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Re: Anime in General

Postby Lupis on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Yes, Studio Ghibli is still anime, no matter how hard Disney tries to market it to western audiences.

As for suggestions...Cowboy Bebop (my favorite EVER), Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Gurren Lagann. I have to say, I'm mostly partial to anime that start out with the end in mind, and have their twenty-six or fifty-two episode run and call it quits. GitS:SAC breaks that rule, but it's awesome enough to get away with it.
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Daggertooth on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:36 pm

Lupis wrote:Yes, Studio Ghibli is still anime, no matter how hard Disney tries to market it to western audiences.

Hmmm....looks like I've seen a lot more anime than I thought. If Ghibli counts, then my list gains a three or fourfold increase.

Unfortunatly Cowboy Bebop is not on netflix, so not an option for me to watch. I saw Ghost in the Shell, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone complex. Are they both good? Is there an order I should consider? I did seeGurren Lagann and will put it on my list of things to watch.

lupis wrote:I'm mostly partial to anime that start out with the end in mind, and have their twenty-six or fifty-two episode run and call it quits. GitS:SAC breaks that rule, but it's awesome enough to get away with it.

I agree. In fact I wish we did that for most of our shows, or at least wrap up a story nice and tidy instead of milking it till it is so dry and lame that they get cancelled due failure.

Stargate SG1 struggled with this. I loved the show, and the last story arc was okay and worth watching, but they had the chance to close up the entire series beautifully.

I'm in the process of watching Supernatural and I'm told that it fails pretty bad here. Wraps up a story arc based on angels, devils, and the apocalypse. Then at the last second decides to run for another two seasons, without giving the writers time to even think of a decent plot. I'm not there yet, but I'm told that its not worth watching. I'll likely find out in a few weeks.
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby ShadowsMyst on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:35 am

I find what anime people find good or bad is really subjective depending on what that person enjoys in genre. They also have some of their own genres (such as 'harem', and 'mecha',) And of course most of them don't wrap up because the manga on which they are based are ongoing. And sometimes they take horrible liberties with the source material. I'm a nut for supernatural stuff, demons, yokai, ghosts, monsters. I also like stuff that's kind of off the wall fantasy stuff, although I'm not adverse to a decent mecha adventure.

It's helpful to kind of know what sort of anime you are looking for so it would be possible to help you find stuff you like, rather than just throw random titles at you, since there is SO MUCH variety.

Also, another place you might want to look for anime to watch is crunchyroll.com. Lots of free streams, most of it current.

Some of my latest favorites:
Deadman Wonderland
Mushishi < -- I think this one is on netflix, if you like stuff like princess mononoke, you'd probably like this. Each episode is a story unto itself.
Blue Exorcist
Natsume Yujin cho & Natsume Yujin cho shi

I think DesertPunk is on netflix, which is much funner dubbed than subbed. its pretty cheeseball, but the insults are great. Also, boobs.

Some oldies but goldies:
Slayers!
Record of Lodoss War
Full Metal Panic!
Rahxephon
Ushio & Tora
Bio Booster Armor Guyver
Hellsing
Bubblegum Crisis 2030
Tank Police ( dude from Ghost in the shell did this one too)
Appleseed (more from the creator of Ghost in the Shell )
DN Angel

Give me more of what you are looking for and I'll see what I can dig up.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Lupis on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:12 pm

Oh, god, how did I forget Hellsing? I would add, however, to look up the more modern version. As long as it takes to put out each OVA, they are /far/ superior to the original series, and follow along much more closely with the manga. I mean...absolutely everything about the new Hellsing is superior. Everything.

As for Mushishi, it was well done, but just how episodic it was threw me off, and just listening to the song that played for the opening credits always put me to sleep. I much prefer an overarcing plot to each episode being something new all to itself.
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Return to Anime, TV & Movies