Things We Are No Longer Allowed To Do In A RP

Remember rolling dice with buddies with stacks of books, pizza, and caffinated beverages? No? Perhaps then you remember lan parties leveling with your WoW peeps, or maybe you just like to play solo on your console of choice. Whatever that may be, any form of game, lets talk about it.

Things We Are No Longer Allowed To Do In A RP

Postby Khroal on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:48 am

In honor of Mr. Welsh, I thought it might be funny to post some things that either we've done in a rp and aren't allowed to do anymore or just funny circumstances.

From my bits.
1.) I am forced to tell the barbarian that he forgot a step when he tied a rope to himself to jump off a cliff after someone else that fell off of it.

2.) When the GM/DM asks you if you're SURE that's the action through which you wish to partake it usually means you MAY want to rethink what you're planning on doing.

3.) Dwarves, like bumbles, do bounce when they fall off of a cliff.
Khroal
Shifty Novice
Shifty Novice

Re: Things We Are No Longer Allowed To Do In A RP

Postby Lupis on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:56 am

I take some of these from my experience as GM/storyteller, some of them from experience as a player. I'm still pissed that my GM for Scion wouldn't let me play the Scion of Ogma that was functionally a Jedi.

4. If the GM stops stares at you for more than five seconds after you make a suggestion, it is to be assumed that you're not allowed to do it.

5. If the other players stop and stare at you for more than five seconds after you make a suggestion, it is to be assumed that it would be a really bad idea to do it.

5a. Especially if the GM starts giggling.

6. If the GM breaks down and starts crying after reading your character sheet, you're not allowed to play that character.

6a. Even if it would be really fun.

6b. Even if it completely follows the rules.

6c. Making a character that is based off of a canon character in another game, let alone another genre, is right out. (Captain America in Faerun didn't go over so well. Neither did the Jedi in Scion.)

7. Not allowed to reduce the GM to bringing in grenade launchers, just to break through your character's armor.

7a. Scion/Exalted corollary: If your DV or armor is above fifteen, expect the other players hate you when the GM is forced to bring out grenade launchers to deal with your character. Just because they were brought out so that the GM can get through your defense/armor, doesn't mean that they won't pulp the other characters like a watermelon dropped off a twenty-story building.

8. Just because you /can/ go through the wall rather than the door, doesn't mean you /should/ go through the wall (I.E. load-bearing sections)
Last edited by Lupis on Thu May 05, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby FoxOfWar on Wed May 04, 2011 4:05 am

(Mostly from a written-rp perspective)

9. Just because I think they are fun, I can not assume everyone gets my obscure references to various old, often Finnish-spoken lines in various animation movies. Quoting a line from the Finnish version of Balto, for example, will not get a chuckle from pretty much anyone else but my sister.

10. My character descriptions do not need a soundtrack.

10a. Nor do the pictures I draw on the character page.

10b. Even when they "match so well it's impossible"

11. I should refrain from straight up quoting songs in my rp posts.
The Truth is out there, so better stay inside not worrying about it, yes?
When life gives you lemons, you make apple cider out of the lemons and make people wonder.
My dA account of insanity
FoxOfWar
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Postby artguy50 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:53 pm

i get a few just from going to a single con and some of my friends games

1. never try boxing demons in call of chulu

1a. even if you the strongist party member in the game

2. never be too reveal importint evidence to the guy u think is dealing Opium

2a. or head of the opium ring

3. when trying to bait anyone to sell opium to me never say im a [whatever the offisl name for Investigator for L5R here] to the dealer

3a and make should u have a good buff skill rating on your character sheet

3b and ask some where NOT in front of the head of the claw you think is dealing the opium to begin with

4. hovering over the DM at any time will resalt in me roling up a new character

5. not all blue things are pools or bodys of water

5a. and even if they are, you still die from falling damge for jumping out of a 30 story building

6. when sneaking into a building it helps if you dont have the wookiee rip every single person we inconter limbs off and beat them to death with them.

7. I will not test off homemade weapons on puppys ever again

7a. or homemade explosive

7b. anything i can or will make ever have to be at least a whole star systm away from any form of woodland cridder

8. when my GM tells me i need to ahve a criminal ref. to be a crime lord for star wars, dressing up like a sith lord, calling myself darth irony, high jacking a speeder and crasing it into the nearis fruit stack didnt count
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby artguy50 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:18 pm

artguy50 wrote:i get a few just from going to a single con and some of my friends games

1. never try boxing demons in call of chulu

1a. even if you the strongist party member in the game

2. never be too reveal importint evidence to the guy u think is dealing Opium

2a. or head of the opium ring

3. when trying to bait anyone to sell opium to me never say im a [whatever the offisl name for Investigator for L5R here] to the dealer

3a and make should u have a good buff skill rating on your character sheet

3b and ask some where NOT in front of the head of the claw you think is dealing the opium to begin with

4. hovering over the DM at any time will resalt in me roling up a new character

5. not all blue things are pools or bodys of water

5a. and even if they are, you still die from falling damge for jumping out of a 30 story building

6. when sneaking into a building it helps if you dont have the wookiee rip every single person we inconter limbs off and beat them to death with them.

7. I will not test off homemade weapons on puppys ever again

7a. or homemade explosive

7b. anything i can or will make ever have to be at least a whole star systm away from any form of woodland cridder

8. when my GM tells me i need to ahve a criminal ref. to be a crime lord for star wars, dressing up like a sith lord, calling myself darth irony, high jacking a speeder and crasing it into the nearis fruit stack didnt count

9. even if your a sith lord, throwing soda cans at people isnt an evil act

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Khroal on Thu May 03, 2012 6:50 am

Here's another

1. The purpose of an RP is to have fun playing with your friends, not to make the gm/dm bald from pulling his hair out since everything you're doing is beating his rolls, and he's a new enough gm/dm that he doesn't realise, he is allowed to cheat his dice rolls.

1a. I am required to instruct the new gm/dm that he is allowed to fudge his dice rolls if things aren't going according to plan.

2. Injecting one's self with self-replicating nanobots and then having them integrate themselves into my nervous system isn't the best of ideas.

2a. I can expect numerous turns of figuring out how the nanobots rewired my body and what limbs are connected to what. In example, I try to walk forward and instead punch myself in the face.
Khroal
Shifty Novice
Shifty Novice

Postby Sterling on Thu May 03, 2012 9:42 am

Portable Holes are not to be applied to friends or party members.
~
Sterling

"Naive wishing for peace is the surest possible way to invite an aggressor."
Sterling
Shifter Darkly
Shifter Darkly

Postby jaina on Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 am

These come from my own experience rp'ing over the last three years plus.

1. Logic Bombing the power player, while appreciated, is not encouraged.

2. I am not to take gratuitous advantage of loopholes.

3. Logic makes a fine mental exercise, but be prepared to be completely disregarded in a fantasy rp.

4. I am to keep the level of descriptive gore in my posts within rp standards at all times.

5. If I weasel a potentially super destructive power out for my character, I will check with the GM for limits before reaching a critical situation that requires excessive force.
"Now that you're all wolfish, allow me to show you how one wolf greets anotherrr..."
"I KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING AND IF YOU GET ANYWHERE NEAR MY BUTT I'LL GIVE YOU SUCH A SLAP!"

Todd and Faith from Eldritch: Lessons; page 9
jaina
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Postby artguy50 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:40 pm

1. your cant not mod your blaster with forus crystals

2. if i think of shooting a puppy again, its an Automatic dark side point

3. i will not do whatever the DM "suggests" me to do

4a. unless otherwise noted, i cant teleport, trick or suggest to anyone to go to the world trade canter on 9/11

4b. or Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki around August 1945

4c. until my character finds a way to time travel to a time were they can learn about any kind of horrible events of history , you cant use them to kill people or avoid them yourself.

5. fire demons arnt good at being Subtle and are NOT cheap for that mader

artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Lupis on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:10 am

Given that some time has passed since the last installment, and I'm still gaming with a wonderful group of people, I have some more things to add.

1. Not allowed to draw on the drunk elf.

1a. ESPECIALLY NOT with Marvelous Pigments.

1b. Drawing penises on the drunk elf in Marvelous Pigments means that the rest of the party gets a free nut shot. Both on your character, and on you, the player.

2. Not allowed to take "Weapon Proficiency: Gnome."

3. Reminder as a GM: players will loot /anything/. Just because you include some treasure to give to the players for killing the Jotun does not mean that they will not also steal his couch and flat-screen TV.

4. Not allowed to sell a fellow PC into slavery.

4a. Especially not sexual slavery.

4b. Even if it is the deal of a lifetime.

5. Not allowed to tell the pet otter to "take the wheel" ever again.

5a. Especially when there are passengers in the car.

5b. Even if one of the other PC's did make certain that the otter had a chauffeur's hat.

6. Not allowed to have an entire combat exclusively of nut shots.

7. Not allowed to deliberately fail a stealth roll because your character noticed that he was trying to sneak past a group of Amazons.

8. Not allowed to set up a 13-year-old as a drug kingpin.

9. When the door guard you're trying to bluff asks who you are, "Candygram for Mongo!" isn't an acceptable answer.

10. Not allowed to ride the minotaur, even if you "only want to do it for eight seconds."

11. Not allowed to have a Deck of Many Things. EVER.

12. When the ogre comes out from behind a bend of the road and demands that you pay the toll, that means that the DM expects you to fight the ogre. Not actually pay the toll.

13. Not allowed to have a character with Vow of Poverty, Vow of Nonviolence, and Vow of Peace ever again.

14. Not allowed to take a Dire Corgi as a mount.
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Next

Return to Gaming Central