Take a game Shop, add a coffee Shop, ??????, Profit!

Remember rolling dice with buddies with stacks of books, pizza, and caffinated beverages? No? Perhaps then you remember lan parties leveling with your WoW peeps, or maybe you just like to play solo on your console of choice. Whatever that may be, any form of game, lets talk about it.

Take a game Shop, add a coffee Shop, ??????, Profit!

Postby Koreth on Wed May 11, 2011 12:11 pm

Edit: Gah! I hit the Submit button instead of the edit button, this post isn't done yet. Hold on.

I don't know how many of you follow Penny Arcade, but a particular part of last Friday's news post stuck out for me.

Jerry Holkins wrote:- Like all other conscious beings, we have constantly fantasized about operating our own gaming shop. The contours of this thing have changed multiple times - in its most recent incarnation, it was Olympus: a kind of evolved arcade that The Mana Bar would ultimately make real.

A shop called Card Kingdom just opened up dangerously close to the office, and it’s essentially the tabletop version of my fantasy store. In addition to a frankly ridiculous supply of games from every conceivable discipline, it’s got a cafe with local taps and a barista who knows his shit. The only thing they don’t have is cots, which keeps me from simply living there.

A shop similar to the one he describes popped up in my area last year. The first time I walked in there, I was amazed. Why had nobody thought of this before? Given the copious amount of caffeine some gamers consume, I can't think of a more natural combination. Really, there should be at least one of these in every major city. Anyone else fortunate to have a such a gaming shop in their area? If gaming communities rallied together and collectively demanded such shops, I don't doubt more than a few savvy businessmen (maybe gamers themselves!) would realize there's a market to be tapped, and coffee-gaming shops would be much more common.
Koreth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Re: Take a game Shop, add a coffee Shop, ??????, Profit!

Postby ShadowsMyst on Wed May 18, 2011 10:27 am

No but my man and myself have fantasized many many times about being able to run such a shop. We just haven't actually figured out how to make it financially viable over the long run. The last really good shop I knew of was owned by a doctor, and eventually closed when the economy tanked.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Gorble on Wed May 18, 2011 11:03 am

Heh reminds me of this morning when I drove my roomie to work. We passed by an old shut down Taco Bell and we commented. "Man it'd be fun to turn that place into a game shop/cyber cafe". It's actually a potentially decent location being so near the college campus. Sadly the problem isn't the idea, but the financial fortitude to actually try and put such ideas into action.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Suicidal Lady on Wed May 18, 2011 4:02 pm

That's when everyone sighs and says "If only I had been a business major I might actually know how to do that!"
~Reach for the moon, because if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
If this sig looks blue to you, you are moving towards your screen to fast
*Physics humor, couldn't help myself*
Suicidal Lady
Shifting Champion
Shifting Champion

Postby Lunaticked on Fri May 20, 2011 7:02 pm

ShadowsMyst wrote:No but my man and myself have fantasized many many times about being able to run such a shop. We just haven't actually figured out how to make it financially viable over the long run. The last really good shop I knew of was owned by a doctor, and eventually closed when the economy tanked.

I'm living in Victoria and I've been thinking that if a nerdy business is going to survive anywhere in Canada, it would be there. Might have to broaden the scope beyond just drawing in the videogame crowd and go for a more general geek crowd, but it would work.

And the PR/Marketing person in me is screaming at me to convince wealthy people to invest in the idea. Luckily I don't know wealthy people in Victoria. Saves me a huge hassle.
Lunaticked
Shifter Darkly
Shifter Darkly

Postby Suicidal Lady on Fri May 20, 2011 8:49 pm

There is a coffee shop in Seattle right near the University of Washington, and it has walls of manga and games. It draws quite a crowd every day, and the bubble tea is actually pretty good.
~Reach for the moon, because if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
If this sig looks blue to you, you are moving towards your screen to fast
*Physics humor, couldn't help myself*
Suicidal Lady
Shifting Champion
Shifting Champion

Return to Gaming Central