RAGE

Remember rolling dice with buddies with stacks of books, pizza, and caffinated beverages? No? Perhaps then you remember lan parties leveling with your WoW peeps, or maybe you just like to play solo on your console of choice. Whatever that may be, any form of game, lets talk about it.

RAGE

Postby Gorble on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:23 am

Oh Bethesda you shined up a Fallout game with prettier graphics, but you pretty much killed the sandbox for a more linear game and then slapped in a forced racing/combat car aspect to the whole thing.

I've only started playing it really, but after three races, two of which you are forced into in order to proceed with a quest I'm fairly certain I dislike the game. I want to walk around, stealth in and take out muties and bandits with a crossbow. Nope sorry here's some more drive from here to there with some short firefights in between. :evil:

Seriously the two clear out the bandit missions have proven to be the only two like-able missions in the game thus far(for me). On the other hand I'm not far enough into the game, but they hammered in alot of aspects I don't care for all at once at about the two hour mark for me. I'm hoping the content farther in changes my opinion.

Anyone else played this game?
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Re: RAGE

Postby Lunaticked on Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Bethesda only published it. id Software made it.

Remember them? They were pretty neat when you were a kid, boy howdy. Remember Doom? Wasn't Doom fun? Yeah. The 90s.

I had a bit of interest in the game because, well...it looked pretty. But hearing all the bad things about it without the hint of anything redeeming about it beyond the look I'm pretty sure I'll be avoiding it.

Thanks for the additional warning!
Lunaticked
Shifter Darkly
Shifter Darkly

Postby Gorble on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:16 am

Yeah I liked Doom and Doom 2. I knew ID Software had there hand in it as well. I say Bethesda cause well... the game feels like Fallout 3.5.

You character is from an unopened ARK (replacing the Vault) and the big bad is a militaristic and tech savy bunch of armored marines called the Authority (replacing the Enclave). I mean you battle against bandit gangs and mutants for god sakes.

I guess I bought too much into the hype because the actual gameplay is bothersome. I hate the vehicle races... if I wanted a racing game I'd play a racing game. It wouldn't be so annoying if the game hadn't forced me into them for some quest lines. Thankfully despite needing racing certificates you can actually get them from another person that wants you to just kill bandit drivers that you'll inevitably run into going to some place so at least I can avoid races... mostly.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Lunaticked on Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Gorble wrote:I guess I bought too much into the hype because the actual gameplay is bothersome. I hate the vehicle races... if I wanted a racing game I'd play a racing game. It wouldn't be so annoying if the game hadn't forced me into them for some quest lines. Thankfully despite needing racing certificates you can actually get them from another person that wants you to just kill bandit drivers that you'll inevitably run into going to some place so at least I can avoid races... mostly.

It's funny that you mention that. A friend of mine was playing it last night. I asked him how it was and his response was "The driving is okay."

I ask someone how a first person shooter is, the single bit of praise that comes up is in regard to the driving, which is merely 'okay'. I kind of want to play it now just to see. I heard so much bad stuff about Duke Nukem forever and found it to be pretty fun. Retarded, but fun.
Lunaticked
Shifter Darkly
Shifter Darkly

Postby Lupis on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:55 pm

See, this is why games can go to E3 and look all bright and shiny: they only have to show maybe twenty minutes out of the game. Take that twenty minutes by itself, and it'll disproportionately make a game that only /looks/ shiny look like god's gift to gaming.

The general consensus of Rage seems to be thus:
- Really pretty, but gameplay is iffy
- Feels a lot like simply an update of Borderlands, which is a superior game because
- RAGE ONLY LASTS TEN BLOODY HOURS! WHAT THE HELL?!? How can you release a "full game," give it this much hype, win f**king every award EVER at E3 and harp on how many awards you won at E3, and then give us a game that we can beat over the course of one day off of work/school/whatever?!? And then charge us sixty bucks to play it?!? Jumping Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, ID!
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Return to Gaming Central