faved tabletop games

Remember rolling dice with buddies with stacks of books, pizza, and caffinated beverages? No? Perhaps then you remember lan parties leveling with your WoW peeps, or maybe you just like to play solo on your console of choice. Whatever that may be, any form of game, lets talk about it.

faved tabletop games

Postby artguy50 on Wed May 01, 2013 7:08 pm

other than pathfinder or DnD
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Re: faved tabletop games

Postby Lupis on Wed May 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Scion: You're the half-human kids of ancient deities (Greek, Egyptian, Norse, Japanese, Aztec, and more!). The Titans, ancient enemies of the gods, have broken free of their prison and are besieging both the Upper Realms and the Mortal World. Hijinks ensue.

Exalted: The Dragon-Blooded took over the empire forged by the god-like Solars centuries ago, murdered the Solars and their Lunar mates, while the plotting Sidereals disappeared to hide in the bureaucracy of heaven. Now the prison that held all of the Solars' essences has been broken, and the Solars are returning. Hijinks ensue.

Illuminati University: Uses GURPS (the Generic Universal Role-Playing System). I have a particular fondness for the Illuminati University setting (IOU) where folks wind up going to school from all across time and space. There is something referred to as being on the "Smith and Wesson Scholarship," where you basically steal your way through your higher education...as long as you're not stealing from the University, itself. There are many campus rules, but they basically boil down as follows:
1. The ArchDean always gets 10%.
2. There aren't any exceptions to Rule #1. No freebies!
3. Don't mess with cats.
4. Thou shalt never lower the ArchDean's stock values.
5. First--semester freshthings are completely off-limits. (Political correctness is a MUST at IOU, with no "freshmen" or "chairmen" but rather "freshthings" and "chairthings.")
6. No black holes on campus. Except small ones on pizza.
7. No antimatter on campus, either. Not even on pizza.
8. Destruction of the Earth, the Sun, or other Solar System objects requires the written permission of the ArchDean.
9. No faculty blood-feuds without a current permit.
Colleges at the University include the College of Obscure and Unhealthy Professions (COUP), the College of Temperal Happenstance, Ultimate Lies and Historical Undertakings (C.T.H.U.L.H.U.), the School of Anti-Social Sciences (SASS), and the College of Weird and Unnatural Sciences and Engineering (WUSE). Hijinks ensue of a spectacular variety.

Dark Heresy: In the grimdark future of the 41st Millenium, there is only war. You are the acolytes of an Imperial Inquisitor, tasked with routing out heresy, xenos, and daemon-worship throughout the myriad worlds of the Imperium. If you have any questions as to how completely AWESOME this can turn out, all you need to read is this: http://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Guy_Who_Cried_Grendel. Hijinks ens-*BLAM* HERESY!
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Anthius on Thu May 02, 2013 7:33 pm

I had some great times in a Dark Heresy game. Once we hit ascension levels things kind of got a bit overboard. I played a vindicare assassin, and could doe pretty much anything.

Dresden Files: Great series of books, I picked up the PDF's for their tabletop game and DM'd a game for a bit. It's very story oriented and in a modern day fantasy setting. What's fun is when the PC's are in trouble, they try to use a cell phone to call for help, only the phone's not working because they spent to much time next to the wizard throwing spells. Magic and technology, do not mix.

Vampire, Geist, Ect: I've only ever actually played Geist, but the whole universe is interesting. Being a half dead person basicly a ghost with all kinds of weird supernatural powers. How can you go wrong?

Now are we just talking Tabletop RPG's or can we include other tabletop games in this list?
And then the Archangel Anthius spoke to them saying, “Fear shall be vanquished by the Sword of Faith.”
Anthius
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby ShadowsMyst on Fri May 03, 2013 9:44 am

My favorites:

Cyberpunk 2020 (R. Talsorian Games.)
(which is why I'm super excited about the potential update coming up with CP 2077, assuming they don't bork it.)

Nightbane (Palladium books)

Big Eyes, Small Mouth (The 3rd ed tristat version was my fave.)

Shadowrun (assuming you can get a GM that doesn't suck.)

I've also been developing a certain affection for Cthulhutech, although its the setting I like, the system is kinda.. meh.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby artguy50 on Fri May 03, 2013 10:43 am

ShadowsMyst wrote:My favorites:

Cyberpunk 2020 (R. Talsorian Games.)
(which is why I'm super excited about the potential update coming up with CP 2077, assuming they don't bork it.)

Nightbane (Palladium books)

Big Eyes, Small Mouth (The 3rd ed tristat version was my fave.)

Shadowrun (assuming you can get a GM that doesn't suck.)

I've also been developing a certain affection for Cthulhutech, although its the setting I like, the system is kinda.. meh.

i wish i was in given the chace to get into a shadowrun game, everyone arould were i live say im not "fucked up enough" to play
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Talexis on Fri May 03, 2013 9:31 pm

I've been hooked on a version of the pokemon tabletop adventures system. A guy in our club got into it a few years ago when it was starting up, tore a bunch of maps from the games to make his own and used maptools for our sessions. Pokemon is definitely better with friends.

My friend has this one-shot based on the Midnight Crew? Problem Sleuth or whatever mispaint adventure comics(I don't know about this very much, as you can tell), set in the 1920s with bits of their hijinks mixed in with loose rules. It's a very whimsical hilarious trainwreck of a oneshot every time, though a lot of it is due to his performance as the dm. He calls it Fill'em with Midnight. (This might actually be a tabletop game type, I just haven't taken the time to find out if it really is outside of my friend dmming it every year). Things like guns being keys and combs being razor blades, punching people into tomorrow, yesterday, downtown, etc.
Talexis
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Return to Gaming Central