Creating the Circle contest

This is the forum for contests held off Shiftersonline.com. If you are entering a contest, please post here under the appropriate thread.

Re: Creating the Circle contest

Postby jaina on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:19 pm

~How you found Shifters and how long you’ve been a fan?
Well I found shifter about four years ago doing a search for "werewolf webcomics" on google because I've always had a fascination with the eldritch creatures and since I'd just started reaching webcomics I decided to see what there was in the way of werewolf ones.

~What Shifters means to you and how much you love it?
Oh dear... Shifters means so much to me... I've tried a lot to do fan art for it, but I only got one piece done that I had the courage to submit and that got posted (hurray) and that's the kinsmir picture I drew of Ferrah. I love creatures like werewolves and vampires and here you're combining them all together and bringing in a whole new race all together, the kinsmir. Add to that you've got political intrigue and xanatos gambits going left and right on both sides of the aisles and you've got a really good story set up. I've reread the story so often because whenever I get bored with my other webcomics or I'm waiting for them to up date I can always come back here and read this for a great source of entertainment.

~Why you want to help bring it back?
Why do I want to bring it back? that's a pretty bad question. I just gave my answers. I love this story and I want to see it brought to a conclusion one way or another, even if I have to drive the artist like a slaver.

~What you would do to help me stay on track?
I'd be willing to talk, help keep a schedule and be there to lean on when you need. I can't do art really, but I can help write a plot out, or maybe scripting, even if it's not the best, maybe just as a starting point to get things going.

~What you would do to help the community at large?
I'd be more than willing to do filler art of fan stuff to go up on sick days or whatever. I've had experience managing forums as an rp manager for several months before the rpsite died due to a paypal failure.

~Why would you make the best choice for a seat at the Circle?
I think I might not be the best choice, but I would probably be a very good choice as I'm very good at consensus building, and I'm good at pulling ideas together to put together plots for stories. I have an extremely vivid imagination that I believe would likely be an asset in this duty and would allow me to aid you in your work. Also when required, I'm willing to step in and tell people to shut up and listen so we can work, or step out and work on my own so what needs to be done, can be done while the others argue. Also when it comes to voicing my opinion on a subject, I'm as honest as they come for the most part, though I can be a bit... blunt in some cases.

Thank you for reading over my application SM.
"Now that you're all wolfish, allow me to show you how one wolf greets anotherrr..."
"I KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING AND IF YOU GET ANYWHERE NEAR MY BUTT I'LL GIVE YOU SUCH A SLAP!"

Todd and Faith from Eldritch: Lessons; page 9
jaina
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Postby EndlessWaltz13 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:31 pm

Wow I'm kinda excited about this... well

* How you found Shifters and how long you've been a fan
I found Shifters some time ago. I LOVE werewolf comics and I had often searched for more on multiple search engines. I believe I found it when the original site was still up and Shifters: Redux was no where in sight. This was actually one of the three webcomics that brought me into the webcomic world so its kind of an honor to be a part of it.

* What Shifters means to you and how much you love it
Like I said before I love werewolves and Shifters shares the idea, in triplicate. You have an Awesome story, other shape-shifters I never thought of, and the design is beyond amazing. I have to be a geek here when I say I like the old comic a bit better. Not that there's anything wrong with the new one, but the old comic had that certain rustic feeling that I expected from such a world. This is especially important when I looked at the vampire cities, the old style wasn't to dark but had like a new age vs older vampire themes going on. I wouldn't call it steam-punk but it is close in thought

* Why you want to help bring it back
Well, if possible, I'd like to see "Feral" Back in action along with Ben and Alice. Keeping the story and art in track is Mucho important but characters and development are just as important. Besides, anyone who likes the comic would want to see it evolve too. PS: seeing the big three *Shifters, El Goonish shive, Alpha Luna* would rock, best in the world!!!

* What you would do to help me stay on track
I don't know..what would you like me to do? I make a mean smoothy and I can speak gibberish. lol I'm frequently online and I might not have a photo graphic memory but i can help you organize. If its ideas, I've got plenty of them. If its proof reading I can do my best at that too. I'm a bit of an artist myself but I'm not a professional. I'm nonchalant at heart so in do time you'd probably feel the cool vibes.

* What you would do to help the community at large
Really though I've been a admin and moderator of multiple sites as well as owner of my own. What I exactly do on these sites? I was known as voice of reason from a lot of close friends. I usually put my full foot forward and go out to help people, sometimes putting my self on the line. I even solve problems by assuring at least a list of 3 solutions. Also I can keep you laughing if you need it. I might watch out for my sarcasm though, I'm ultra notorious for it.

* Why would you make the best choice for a seat at the Circle
I would make a HORRIBLE choice for a seat at the circle. Now a hexagon maybe, but not a circle. Although now that i think about it, a hexagon would be all pointy on both sides. Yeah you know what I'm better suited to the circle. Wait....uh what if this circle is really a blade in a saw...OH MY GOD YOUR JIG SAW AREN'T YOU?!?!?! No no no that''s impossible, or is it? eh in any case I think I've said enough. But really please don't try to kill me.
For all who don't know, for all who can't see . I beg, no I pray...
"Do not go gentle into that good night", Dylan Thomas
EndlessWaltz13
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Suicidal Lady on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:17 pm

How did I find Shifters? The long way. I remember waaaay back in 2002 when I first discovered webcomics and was sifting through every site that had links to the multitude of webcomics out there. As I trudged through all of them, Shifters was the first one that actually stuck. I immediately fell in love with the characters, especially Kat, and made the website my homepage, and have been a fan ever since.

I guess Shifters was truly the first comic/media I had encountered that opened my eyes to the idea of playing with old concepts and making them new. I loved the idea of Kinsmir, and strongly believe that the concept is one of the few werewolf/vampire mixes that doesn't just scream of childish tweens and Twilight-esk drama. I also really enjoy the beautiful art, and even attempted to start my own comic because of it. Sadly, I am not nearly as talented, but it has kept me drawing for years. I have often referenced pages from Shifters to see how I should try and draw things. For a while I had several Shifters pictures printed out and tacked up on my bulletin board. Good lord, there was even a time where I had a Kat cosplay all planned out to wear to Sakura con. I was terribly disappointed when I was unable to attend because of family issues. For a while, I was very active on the RPG board and only became inactive when I got a job and only had about 2 hours of free time a day. The previous board crash also made it hard to reboot, so in the end I finally let it go. The RPG actually helped me to realize and congeal ideas into something that was interesting and went somewhere. Even though I haven't been active on the board in a year and a half, I have stalked and love reading all of the posts. I also write some short stories myself, and I can tell you, my writing got a whole lot better once I started participating in the Shifters RPG.

I always feel sad when a really good webcomic dies, but usually I get over it and forget. That was not the case with Shifters. I have checked the website and forums multiple times each year. I actually startled my roomie with a loud gasp when the first thing I read in my inbox was Shifter's Returns! (She thought I saw a spider or something equally as terrible) I love the comic and feel that it has so much background and potential, it just made my heart ache to see it dead. The Shifters Universe is one that I feel should be shared with others, because there is so much you could do with it. Heck, I have talked with friends about how cool it would be to have a Shifters-like table top RPG. Even if the comic stayed dead for the rest of my life, I have become one of those loyal fans who always moans "if only they had continued on..." and starts browsing through old material. I would love to have something I thought had died forever actually come back to life, and would feel even more attached to it if I could help. If you really get it going, might I suggest a printed version? I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I am quite the good motivator. I can honestly say that two people currently in my Astronomy/Physics major would not still be in my major if I hadn't given them a major gung-ho pep-talk. I am often online and available for anything. You want a motivational limerick? You got it. Need some music to get you pumped? I have recommendations. Also, if your motivation requires any sort of humorous/interesting video to act as stress relief, I have more then I can count lined up on my favorites list ready to go. I have decent writing skills and grammar sense, though I wouldn't say I am spectacular. I can help with proofreading and would love to help out in any other way. I do have decent knowledge of computer programming, and am getting better all the time (My major requires me to learn how to program, mostly mathematical stuff, but I am sure I could figure out website related programming no problem.) My art skills are hit and miss, meaning sometimes the hand comes out as a hand, other times I was going for a rooster from the getgo, I swear. So yes, I can't really help out in that department. But if you want photos of a certain kind for inspiration or references, I am an excellent photo finder.

I'd love to get back into the RPG community now that I have more time on my hands. I'd also be willing to help out on the boards and organize events/contests if possible. Also, I could just be around the boards more often. I also have no shame doing Shifters plugs/ advertising on other sites I frequent. I have done it before for Shifters and other comics I enjoy just to get more people I know into something I really like.

When I love something, I get really into it, and as far as webcomics go, I am really into them. Currently I spend most of my free time playing Spore and reading other webcomics, but if I had something that was both interesting and constructive to do, I would immediately put a lot of time and effort into it. Get me motivated and you will see calendars and planners fill up like no other. I am mostly free nights because of my college schedule, and am extremely free on weekends. I am also funny, or so I've been told, and am actually a fun person to talk to, so interacting with me would not be boring. If my post hasn't conveyed it yet, I'd just like to say I am SO EXCITED that you are starting back up again!!! Also, thanks for tolerating my extremely long post :)
~Reach for the moon, because if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
If this sig looks blue to you, you are moving towards your screen to fast
*Physics humor, couldn't help myself*
Suicidal Lady
Shifting Champion
Shifting Champion

Postby rosettastone2 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:40 pm

I can't really remember when I first saw Shifters. I believe it was during one of it's numerous hiatuses. I gave up on the bookmark after two months, found it again during some updating spike, watched until it stopped again, stopped watching, then just missed the reboot. I think I actually saw the last two pages 'live' so to speak, saw the previous one one day and the other one the next within the same month. Then I saw an ad for Brymstone just now and I figured to check on your 'abandoned' project again, maybe reread the thing.

I managed to get some tidbits from you long time ago. Shifters was inspired by White Wolf, though when the Gaming Group GM suggested Shifter, I was afraid that if I said yes they thought me a furry. Then I discovered later they were furries. Yikes.

I don't give out complements. Fuck those. I like to ask about the details. I like gray settings in regards of morality. Why the hell are vampires assholes? Do you need to be one to be turned into a vampire? What happens when a nice guy who runs a animal shelter is turned into a vampire? Does he become a jerk? That is the number one flaw in your story. Free advice! I would want to know why character A does thing X, and not thing Y. I will tell you when I feel like character A has just drastically changed for what appears to be just no bloody reason at all.

You see I don't touch on art? That's because the guy doing XKCD does it better than me. So people can't yell at me for being an art critic and not knowing the craft at all.

It would be for the best if I didn't stay in the actual community. If you actually made this far you clearly see I'm not a yes-man or an arse-licker, brownnoser, fangirl or whatever. I'm brutal, and perhaps lethal.

And that I'm European, so I will most likely miss any ustreaming or timed events or whatever.

Choose me, because I'm anti-squee.
rosettastone2
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Postby Lupis on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:36 am

Well, now...it's good to see stuff going on on the Shifters boards again, and even better to hear that the comic is coming back!

God, I feel like an old-timer...I found Shifters by looking through KeenShift webcomics waaaaaaay back in the day. I can't even recall exactly when I did that, I want to say 2002, 2003-ish? Maybe? Crap, has it really been that long? I joined the forums (holy crap I feel old) two boards ago, pretty much right before it swapped over to the previous forum, I think. Regardless, it was forever ago.

Shifters was one of the first webcomics I ever started following, back when I was first finding out they existed. Pretty much was reading Black Tapestries and Shifters at the time. So...it would be good to see the comic live again, if for no other reason than nostalgia.

I'd love to help bring Shifters back, largely because I remember having a lot of fun with characters on the board here. I still play some of them, or other characters based off of them, in other RP's. Seeing the webcomic come back would bring new life back to the boards, get the RP rocking and rolling here again. Plus, the comic was awesome, and I'd like to see it live again, purely on its own merits.

As for how to keep stuff on track? Heck, I dunno...I'm available just about every night on IRC and AIM, and I'm always good for looking at artwork and providing motivational speeches and constructive criticism. Though, yanno, not being an artist myself, so often I look at the artwork and ooh and ahh...don't have much of a critical eye. But hey, I know grammar and spelling and stuff, so I could help with editing and proofreading and such like that, to be certain.

As for helping the community at large, I think I've been around Shifters for as long as anybody, except maybe Gorble and Tsureai. I've got experience out the wazoo to bring to the table. I know the setting, know a lot of the characters, and as far as the RP goes I know the system and I know what it takes.

I'd be good to have at the table...hell, if what I've said above isn't convincing enough, I don't know what would be. It'll be awesome to see Shifters up and running again, and I'd love to help out and get things going.
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Talexis on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:06 am

Wait. Personal Cheering/motivation/help squad. I can definitely help with the first two! The third depends, since I'm not actually coding savvy >_>

-How did I find Shifters and how long I've been a fan.
I found Shifters somewhere around 7th or 8th grade surfing through shapeshifting webcomics on my Windows 98...maybe 2004-5? and was instantly taken with how cool the comic was. So...gotta do maths, hold on...6-7 years depending on the exact date I found it, and my Windows 98 has been wiped since then, so no knowing when. Yes, I'm not thinking very properly atm xD

-What Shifters means to you and how much you love it
The idea of non-werewolf shapeshifters who retain their minds was/is the best thing I've ever heard of, and this was one of the only comics out there that did it well enough back then that my simple childish mind agreed with it. This comic is so amazing that when it stopped I started creating my own stories and characters based within the rules of the "universe."

-Why you want to help bring it back
Because Shifters is awesome, and there's really no good comic comparison on the net that captures the same feeling Shifters brings. If there is, then I haven't looked hard enough.

-What you would do to help me stay on track
Other than nag at you(I can't physically stop you from deciding to not work on Shifters)? Probably come up with concepts within the city and the world at large to run by you to get you into the mood of Shifters, or make fanart(I've always wanted to and tried to make Shifters fanart, but it never seems good enough in the end, so stay on track or you'll get not horrible but pretty close to horribly-drawn Shifters fanart!)

-What you would do to help the community at large
I'm not sure, maybe help develop the universe, as well as maybe help develop the d20. College has taught me many things, and one of them is that to have a fun experience sans booze and throw-up is to join the campus tabletop club, most of the members who I already know anyways. I'm not sure whether they'd take into a mainly shapeshifters vampire campaign(omgfurriesburnthem =\) but I could run ideas by some of them, and they did do a one shot with were-creatures last semester. Or test out the other aspects of the universe(like other races, being human in this place, or various scenarios.. I'd definitely enjoy expanding/fleshing out the city/world(visually and not) for the imagination of the rpers in the forums?

-Why would you make the best choice for a seat at the circle?
I'm definitely not the best choice for a seat at the circle, since I can't help with coding or administer forum coding/technical items, but if you need me to, I can try? xD
I can be very honest about things, and if you want viewers to visualize a certain idea/viewpoint within the comic I can help by giving insight to how I see your idea as opposed to how you may see it? I'm always usually near my computer and am always open to talk to. Actually, I can sketch out how I see it if you're interested into how you plan something out and how well the idea comes across into the comic in the view of others. If I get onto a certain point with visualizing things, I continue to pursue it, so if you bring out a new concept and ask about it, I might go very in depth with it to make it realistic unless it's not supposed to make sense, at which point I start theorizing about it and its abilities. In total, I can help by being talkative, visual/technical, and helpful(if I can't do it and trying doesn't bring upon really negative consequences, I'll at least try before going back to the drawing board.)

You keep up your end of the deal(showering the web with delicious comic), I'll keep up mine(showering you with support/motivation and silliness). Alright, I added the silliness, part, but really, no one should be allowed to stay serious, it's pretty bad for the mind. And if you do stop for non-serious reasons, I'll still keep up my end of the deal, because it'd be wrong not to. I'm not gonna let Shifters fade away so easily! It has too much of an impact on my imagination to let fade into nothingness(It's the longest-surviving comic-favorite still in my favorites) :p
Whether or not I'm chosen, I hope the best for your endeavors and will probably help/be more active in the forums as time passes by. Being 19 is a lot different than being 12, so no more lurking for me xD
Talexis
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby LittleLost on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:19 am

How you found Shifters and how long you've been a fan

I first came across Shifters in 2004, long before you started the redux. The story seemed a little silly at first... (VAMP SQUAD P.I.!!!) but there was something there that drew me in. Knowing more about writing and worldbuilding now than I did back then, I can say that Shifters was a much needed throwback to how vampires and werewolves used to be monsters that are almost human, humans that are almost monsters. Before the "vampire/human romance" really took off and paved the way for "twilight" ug.

Now that twilight is popular, I want to see stories like Shifters make a comeback. I don't want sparkles and perfect hair, I want to see real people fight to control their other selves, their darkness, their inner monster. You can bet that I'll keep as close an eye on the update schedule as I did when I first saw the comic. (you can also bet I'll bug you)

For a long time now, I've wanted to start on a written version of shifters, or a fanfic if nothing else, my only problem was there are still a parts of shade city and the shifters world that I don't know about. Either because they're in your head or in the RP forum (which I never really got into.) If I were to become a member of your council I could bounce ideas off of you directly, and give feedback on anything you need help with. I'm not going to be one of those "Yes-Men" who are afraid to tell you no. You can trust me to give an honest opinion wherever I can.
LittleLost
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Postby Penumbra on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:27 am

I’m pretty sure I found Shifters on Google when I was just getting into webcomics and it was one of my first. This was around when my love of werewolves was starting to pick up, so naturally, I wanted to find a webcomic that involved them. Needless to say that I was instantly drawn to Shifters when I found out about it, especially since the plot and the characters were so interesting to me. I’ve been a fan ever since I started reading it, which was around Christmas 2003. I can’t believe that it’s already been seven years since I saw Kat wrapped up in ribbons like a fuzzy little present. This was when I was young and naïve, so some of the more mature things flew completely over my head. I never heard of a ball gag before then. XD

Shifters was a huge influence on my writing style. At the time, I was still writing crappy fanfiction that never made it on the web, so I never really attempted to write much original stuff. It sparked my interest in creating my own world for my characters to run around in, who also evolved greatly with new and better characters being added to the mix. It also inspired me to draw more and draw more I did, though I’m pretty unhappy with where my art is now, but that’s a whole other story.

If squeals of joy whenever a new page came up accurately measure the love someone has for something, then I really love Shifters. When both versions of the comic were still being updated, I checked the site multiple times a day just in case a new page snuck on there without my knowing. I really enjoyed seeing what would happen to Ferrah and the gang. After the second hiatus, I couldn’t bear the thought of giving up on the comic, so I kept checking back and hoped each time that there was some news of its return. I’m so glad that you didn’t give up on it either because the news made me extremely happy and excited. <3

Why wouldn’t I want to help bring my favorite webcomic back? Shifters was my favorite when it was still going and I’m willing to bet money that I’ll love the revamp even more. There’s just something about your art and storytelling that makes it impossible not to like. I want to see everything you’ve been plotting over the years all put together into one awesome comic. Plus, I haven’t been a fan for this long to not see it come back, heh.

I’m not really sure what I would be able to do to help you stay on track. I’m not exactly the most assertive of people and I hate feeling like a bother, but if you need someone to pester and talk to you then I suppose I can do that. I don’t think I have any exceptional skills that I know some other forum members have, but I’m nearly always on AIM when I’m not in class, so I’ll be willing to help you with anything Shifters-related that I can. The world you made fascinates me greatly and I doubt I’d ever get tired of you sharing ideas and asking my opinions on things. If you needed a few people to proofread your work for any plot holes or issues that you might have missed, I would happily do that for you. If you need constructive criticism, I can do this for you as well. Besides just talking to you and hopefully motivating you, I’ll probably end up writing and drawing Shifters-related stuff. I’m overly critical of my art, but if fanwork cheers you up and makes you feel more positive about what you’re doing, then I can do my part.

I’ll admit that I’m not exactly sure what I would be able to do for the community, as I have no real experience with it. I know that I would love to help get the RP going again and I’m already plotting a character for it. It only makes sense that I make a character or two for your world when I like it so much. I’ve been told I’m a decent peacekeeper and mediator, so that might help occasionally somehow. Um, I suppose I could help stimulate more interest in the forums and help discussions get going, even though I’m kind of shy. One of the signs of a good webcomic is a healthy forum population, so I’ll try to promote them and the comic when I can to get more people interested.

I don’t think that I would be the best choice and I’d be pretty surprised if I actually made it into the Circle. However, I have no issues with commitment and will definitely keep at my duties until you don’t need them anymore. I’ll do what you need me to do and I’ll do my best at whatever it is (as long as it isn’t illegal or anything, but I doubt that’d be an issue XD). I’m open-minded and I try to not intentionally piss people off, so you and the Circle members will most likely not get any problems from me. Regardless of whether or not I make it in, I'll continue to stay with Shifters and I expect the Circle members and fellow fans to do the same.

Alright, I think that’s just about it. I hope I didn’t come across as too much of a wordy kiss-ass, ehehe. ^^;
Oh god, I'm engaged to a Douglas fir.
Penumbra
Shadow Shifter
Shadow Shifter

Postby mabmoro on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:51 pm

First, an apology- I've never been good at elaborating in forum posts.

I honestly cant remember exactly how or when I found Shifters. All I can say is that I love transformation-related comics and stories, and this has been one of my, if not my top, favorite comics since I found it!

Shifters was one of the absolute best webcomics out there, both for story and art. It was by far, my favorite comic, and to see it stop was practically heartbreaking.

Shifters has always been one of my favorite comics, as I said above. For it to end, would be... just bad. I cant think of any other way to say it.

Whatever you need or want. I'm almost always available to talk, save the hour or two I commute every day, and the two hours of sleep I tend to get at night these days.

I'd be more than willing to be a constructive member of the community, as well as to help with any RPs that may be running.

I'm not. But, one can always dream.
mabmoro
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Postby ShadowsMyst on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:51 am

Okay, contest is closed! On with the judging!

Edit March 14, 2011 ----

Okay, Judging completed. As per the three judge panel, the winners have been notified by email!
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Contests