Random Shifters Question

Forum for the specific discussion of the Shifters webcomic. Ask questions, post comments, fan art/stories, and that sort of thing here.

Re: Random Shifters Question

Postby Daggertooth on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:52 pm

I just noticed that the "latest forum topics" bit on the comic page does not have anything from the forums in the RPG section. I'm curious if this is by design.
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby ShadowsMyst on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:36 pm

When I was originally setting up the plugin, there wasn't much activity in the RP forums and the only threads getting play were the RP ones that regular new people can't post to anyway. the only ones I'd think would be worth seeing for the majority of people would be the OOC forums.

Do you specifically want to see particular forums show up?
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Daggertooth on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:02 pm

ShadowsMyst wrote:Do you specifically want to see particular forums show up?

Not really. I just noticed it the other day and was curious about it. Thought I'd bring it up to satisfy that curiosity...and just in case it was something that was overlooked.
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby artguy50 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm

how do avatars work in your world, is it like avatar the last airbander or dnd fantasy avatars?
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Lupis on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:36 am

If you're asking the question that I think you're asking, much closer to the avatars of Dungeons and Dragons than any airbending. I don't know all of the details, but I think the only avatar who's ever appeared in either the forum or the comic was Eve. From what I can gather, Eve was basically the Dark Star in human form. Baaaad juju.

She was also an incredibly special case, however. There's not a whole lot of information out there, because frankly, it's probably a lot more interesting and effective from a storytelling perspective to have that massive threat behind the scenes than it is to have it right in front of you, spelled out.
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby artguy50 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Lupis wrote:If you're asking the question that I think you're asking, much closer to the avatars of Dungeons and Dragons than any airbending. I don't know all of the details, but I think the only avatar who's ever appeared in either the forum or the comic was Eve. From what I can gather, Eve was basically the Dark Star in human form. Baaaad juju.

She was also an incredibly special case, however. There's not a whole lot of information out there, because frankly, it's probably a lot more interesting and effective from a storytelling perspective to have that massive threat behind the scenes than it is to have it right in front of you, spelled out.

so avatar as in the god reborn in human (or vamp) form not agint of god that gets their powers and orders straght from their god

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby ShadowsMyst on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:47 pm

@ Lupis - Eve was a Sygil of the Dark Star, not the dark star herself. Big difference. Mortal forms can't generally contain the entirety of the power of a celestial being. Hell even the gods in Shifters are all divided in half.

I'm going on the literal definition of the word:

the descent of a deity to the earth in an incarnate form or some manifest shape; the incarnation of a god.

In the Shifters universe, living gods cannot manifest in the material plane. Period. There are no avatars of gods in the Shifters world. That being said, the dragons (which are not gods) can split their essence off into shards and implant them in people. People can only accommodate a tiny soul shard, and although a dragon might have many shards in the world, they only ever awaken one carrier at a time. Which pretty much ruins the person and will eventually kill them. If the person is not awakened, the shard does very little. If the person dies, the shard will find a new host.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby artguy50 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:06 pm

ShadowsMyst wrote:@ Lupis - Eve was a Sygil of the Dark Star, not the dark star herself. Big difference. Mortal forms can't generally contain the entirety of the power of a celestial being. Hell even the gods in Shifters are all divided in half.

I'm going on the literal definition of the word:

the descent of a deity to the earth in an incarnate form or some manifest shape; the incarnation of a god.

In the Shifters universe, living gods cannot manifest in the material plane. Period. There are no avatars of gods in the Shifters world. That being said, the dragons (which are not gods) can split their essence off into shards and implant them in people. People can only accommodate a tiny soul shard, and although a dragon might have many shards in the world, they only ever awaken one carrier at a time. Which pretty much ruins the person and will eventually kill them. If the person is not awakened, the shard does very little. If the person dies, the shard will find a new host.

a sygil? whats the differants between that an a avater?

artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby artguy50 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:10 pm

was your comic inspired at all by shadowrun

artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Talexis on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:52 pm

http://shifters.comicgenesis.com/comichistory.html

"It is in fact based on Cyberpunk 2020's Alternate Reality Sourcebook:Night's Edge."

This may have been stated earlier, but there's a game based off of Cyberpunk 2020 currently in development. Just an interesting tidbit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWOEFkauoYY
Talexis
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Previous

Return to Shifters Comic Discussion