Random Shifters Question

Forum for the specific discussion of the Shifters webcomic. Ask questions, post comments, fan art/stories, and that sort of thing here.

Re: Random Shifters Question

Postby Lupis on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:49 am

Honestly, it all depends on how good a job they do. If they break the Veil, they're screwed. But just because they're playing the part of the vigilante or monster hunter, doesn't mean they necessarily break the Veil. They're not going to get much publicity over it, in any case, but that would be the way any good vigilante or monster hunter would want it.

As for Veil-aware humans, it's pretty much on a case-by-case basis. Virtually never are they turned, unless their induction into the Veil is being bitten by a Newgen Vampire. It's a vast conspiracy, and if the person can be trusted to pretty much keep their mouth shut about things, they can go about their life without any real change. And, honestly, even if they can't keep their mouth shut, who the hell is going to believe the person going around talking about the secret culture of werecreatures and vampires living in their midst and the massive conspiracy in place to keep the helpless sheep of general humanity unaware of the sinister goings-on of the supernatural community? When that kind of thing happens, generally people start recommending tinfoil hats and jackets with the sleeves sewn together at the ends. Killing the person isn't really necessary at that point...and if the person simply keeps quiet and starts looking at ways to solve the vampire or werewolf "problem," it's justifiable self defense.
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby Gorble on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:01 am

A veil race goes vigilante:
In a good scenario they're subtle and nobody sees them do anything weird or unusual. Though you did say superhero, which implies a less subtle approach in most cases. In a best case, they become an urban legend and people act like any 'powers' they have is overblown rumors/gimmicks (ala the Veil). Of course this is assuming they aren't killing people or acting like a bull in a china shop when it comes to law breaking. In either case the person is a vigilante and the Waking World will treat them like any other form of criminal. This has come up before so it bears repeating, Violating due process whether a party is guilty or not is not okay. You can/will get arrested for it and even found guilty. Can you 'get away with it' perhaps depending on the court verdict, but in either case you're in jail or otherwise under close scrutiny until then so continuing your vigilante justice isn't really viable at that point.

A veil race goes slayer:
To the waking world those that go about killing veil races (aka slayers) would appear much like serial killers or hitmen assuming their kills become public. They would appear to be methodically stalking victims and then killing them. Vampires offer a relative easier disposal (ie. light em up and you burn away the evidence) while shifters, mages, psions, escari, and espi would appear as ordinary human corpses and require disposal as such unless you want to be put on trial for murder. So for example if a Blade-esque character ala the first movie were to appear in the Shifters universe the cops shooting at him or attempting to arrest him would not be the puppets of vampires for the most part or even set upon him by the vampires. He'd be hunted because he's running around shooting people, setting fires, etc.

In either case one has to realize that Veil races operate within Waking World society as normal people for the most part. They have friends, families, jobs, etc. Another point is that the Veil is very much self-regulated, while a few powerful groups or individuals exist within the lie the continued existence of it relies on everyone within it attempting to keep it. Veil aware humans happen, but as already stated it depends on the how and why. In some cases a human that witnesses a Veil break isn't brought in and guess what? The Veil still works out as that person has to try and rationalize what they saw to fit into their world view. If a human is brought into the know for whatever reason (loved one, etc.) then there's nothing different between how they're expected to act and any other member of a veil race. They go about their life, that's it. Now in some cases a person may have be considered by someone in power to see too much or be a potential danger(either to themselves or others) if they continue to have it. In that case even killing them isn't the go to option. There's this nice thing called 'The Juice' for lack of a better term. Take a dose of this chemical cocktail and you will forget. So yup a bit of a mind scrub drug that can eliminate some time you had into the vague fog of shock/amnesia.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby artguy50 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:01 pm

i just wondering what in terms of body armor and personal defense weapons (like tasers and pepper spray etc.) has improved and/or changed majorly in shifters?
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Gorble on Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:49 pm

I doubt armor has changed all that much. New materials might make it lighter to a degree, but as for tougher well. Weapon technology has over the last centuries kind of ran ahead of armor tech. The soft armors are still going to be vest, etc. while heavy armor is probably going to be hardshell/plates.

As for taser, etc. While those inventions can only be improved so much. I've seen some things done with lasers that are used to blind people in recent weapon programs. There's several tech in the pipelines, but most of them of the vehicle mounted variety.
-Room mate
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby artguy50 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Gorble wrote:I doubt armor has changed all that much. New materials might make it lighter to a degree, but as for tougher well. Weapon technology has over the last centuries kind of ran ahead of armor tech. The soft armors are still going to be vest, etc. while heavy armor is probably going to be hardshell/plates.

As for taser, etc. While those inventions can only be improved so much. I've seen some things done with lasers that are used to blind people in recent weapon programs. There's several tech in the pipelines, but most of them of the vehicle mounted variety.

by hardshell/plates do you mean master chief full body armor or army of two full body armor

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Gorble on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:57 am

I'd say the hardshell could be used define both. It's basically when you start adding large, more rigid plating (a shell as it were) over a ballistic resistant body suit. I wouldn't use Mjolnir as an example simple because someone might think I mean power armor.

To define it better in say the Halo universe it would be more like when I refer to soft armors I'd refer to the UNSC Marine corps BDUs as the top range. While hardshell would be like the ODST battle armor.

Soft armor can take a bullet or two and they only cover the most vital spots. They focus more on concealability and mobility. Hardshell is where you maybe take a bullet storm and offers full body coverage. What doesn't have some sort of plating uses bullet resistant fabric. It is highly visible due to the sheer amount of it which can interfere marginally with mobility/flexibility.
-Room mate
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby artguy50 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Gorble wrote:I'd say the hardshell could be used define both. It's basically when you start adding large, more rigid plating (a shell as it were) over a ballistic resistant body suit. I wouldn't use Mjolnir as an example simple because someone might think I mean power armor.

To define it better in say the Halo universe it would be more like when I refer to soft armors I'd refer to the UNSC Marine corps BDUs as the top range. While hardshell would be like the ODST battle armor.

Soft armor can take a bullet or two and they only cover the most vital spots. They focus more on concealability and mobility. Hardshell is where you maybe take a bullet storm and offers full body coverage. What doesn't have some sort of plating uses bullet resistant fabric. It is highly visible due to the sheer amount of it which can interfere marginally with mobility/flexibility.

ok and would or can full body armor have stuff like ammo counter, gps (hologram, wrest mounted, head up display exc.) radar and/or someway of tracking a wearer's vital signs from the suit and show it to the wearer and/or others?

artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Gorble on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:59 am

Heads Up Display (HuDs) or Wrist Computer are obviously both possible. Hell they already exist to one degree or another already.

Ammo counter- would require the gun to have such a counter on it, data could then be transmitted to HuD or wrist comp.

Vital counter- Various sensors could be in an under suit that track useful data (heart rate, etc.)

Basically the only issue is not whether your armor can pack all these sensors or even have a computer that filters the data to you and transmits it to your team/homebase. Nope the big issue is one of power in those cases. All those electronics can be thirsty beasts and batteries can add quite a bit to weight issues.
-Room mate
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby artguy50 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:58 pm

Gorble wrote:Heads Up Display (HuDs) or Wrist Computer are obviously both possible. Hell they already exist to one degree or another already.

Ammo counter- would require the gun to have such a counter on it, data could then be transmitted to HuD or wrist comp.

Vital counter- Various sensors could be in an under suit that track useful data (heart rate, etc.)

Basically the only issue is not whether your armor can pack all these sensors or even have a computer that filters the data to you and transmits it to your team/homebase. Nope the big issue is one of power in those cases. All those electronics can be thirsty beasts and batteries can add quite a bit to weight issues.

i would think their would be better power soures than the batteries of today, like mini power generators and if not than stuff like that would be for short term than long term missons?

artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby drakanor on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:05 pm

I feel like I need to add that Generators tend to be bulkier and a lot heavier than batteries. Mind you with the right set up you could technically barely feel the weight of the Generator; mostly because it would be dispersed around various parts of your body.
drakanor
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

PreviousNext

Return to Shifters Comic Discussion