Random Shifters Question

Forum for the specific discussion of the Shifters webcomic. Ask questions, post comments, fan art/stories, and that sort of thing here.

Re: Random Shifters Question

Postby Gorble on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Also generators require some sort of fuel to generate as well as additional cooling thus you keep adding to weight concerns. Also electronics don't like all that rough activity and often unfriendly environments. But hey you want all that tech in a hard suit go ahead.

Either way you probably get quite a few hours(4-6 or so) of activity and you can feel like you're in an fps game.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby artguy50 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Gorble wrote:Also generators require some sort of fuel to generate as well as additional cooling thus you keep adding to weight concerns. Also electronics don't like all that rough activity and often unfriendly environments. But hey you want all that tech in a hard suit go ahead.

Either way you probably get quite a few hours(4-6 or so) of activity and you can feel like you're in an fps game.

what do you think can make this work or something like this or just dont have it at all?

p.s. i think this mit count as a vary dumb Question but would nuclear or hydrogen power cell be able to power it with:
1. not adding more weigh than it already has (i think this is more than a few 100s pounds of computers and the like)
2. not killing the user out right from the power sore
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Gorble on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:25 am

Okay I'm gonna act the mod here for a bit and say this topic has strayed far from even remotely dealing with anything in the comic (i.e. there has been no linear frames or armor featured,etc.) and so I'll give this warning that any more questions should more closely deal with things in the comic(at least remotely like the original question) in this section of the forum.If you are asking about something you want for a character in the rp, ask about it in the rp section.

Now to finish off this last question.
Frankly after some looking through on this I do recall an old military project that's called the Land Warrior system. Of course like many such projects its fallen into obscurity again. So it has the potential to work in some ways. Just probably not one that completely mirrors a First person shooter, which is what troubles me about your query. Really this is something that could be answered with a little more research I think.

1. Fuel cells will add weight regardless, much like ammo for a gun adds weight. These things don't just pop out of nowhere. A nuclear power cell would require so much to be 'safe' it is pretty much a joke to suggest it. Hydrogen fuel cell is going to be a lot of compressed gas so once again weight and depending on how the 'engine' is set up (since Hydrogen cells don't just put out power, there's a bit more to it than that) you could either save the byproduct (water).
2. Hydrogen fuel cells probably wouldn't kill anybody save for a potential weight issue. Nuclear on the other hand... well seriously anything that gives off lethal radiation should not be walking into combat. "Why hello terrorists each of our soldiers comes with the key component of a dirty bomb strapped into their armor. Please don't shoot them or take our wounded/dead."
-Room mate
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby artguy50 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:53 pm

Gorble wrote:Okay I'm gonna act the mod here for a bit and say this topic has strayed far from even remotely dealing with anything in the comic (i.e. there has been no linear frames or armor featured,etc.) and so I'll give this warning that any more questions should more closely deal with things in the comic(at least remotely like the original question) in this section of the forum.If you are asking about something you want for a character in the rp, ask about it in the rp section.

Now to finish off this last question.
Frankly after some looking through on this I do recall an old military project that's called the Land Warrior system. Of course like many such projects its fallen into obscurity again. So it has the potential to work in some ways. Just probably not one that completely mirrors a First person shooter, which is what troubles me about your query. Really this is something that could be answered with a little more research I think.

1. Fuel cells will add weight regardless, much like ammo for a gun adds weight. These things don't just pop out of nowhere. A nuclear power cell would require so much to be 'safe' it is pretty much a joke to suggest it. Hydrogen fuel cell is going to be a lot of compressed gas so once again weight and depending on how the 'engine' is set up (since Hydrogen cells don't just put out power, there's a bit more to it than that) you could either save the byproduct (water).
2. Hydrogen fuel cells probably wouldn't kill anybody save for a potential weight issue. Nuclear on the other hand... well seriously anything that gives off lethal radiation should not be walking into combat. "Why hello terrorists each of our soldiers comes with the key component of a dirty bomb strapped into their armor. Please don't shoot them or take our wounded/dead."

ok, i can see how this get a little off topic (and fall in to realms of full on retardation) but thank you for answering anyway.

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby artguy50 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:52 pm

can you kill a shifter with quicksilver filled hollow bullets?

artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Lupis on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:56 am

You can kill a Shifter with pretty much any bullet, if you hit them somewhere they'll bleed out of or otherwise die before regeneration can kick in. Head or heart are pretty much going to be guaranteed kill shots.

That being said, Shifters don't have any particular vulnerability to quicksilver. Mercury isn't silver. Likewise, Shifters don't have any particular vulnerability to anything but pure silver, so compounds like silver nitrate aren't going to do anything special. Given that Shifters are pretty much immune to disease and poison (as I recall) and when one dies from mercury exposure it's a form of poisoning, I would say that a hollow bullet filled with mercury ain't gonna do diddly except piss off whatever Shifter you're shooting at.
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby drakanor on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:22 am

I should also mention that it is not the Murcury itself that kills us it is the fumes that are released due to its oxidization that kills us.
drakanor
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby artguy50 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:06 pm

how do LTV A vamps groom there "kid" , how do they get permission to turn someone into an LTV A vamp, and how aware does the "kid" how to be of the veil or what vamps are during the grooming?

artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Gorble on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:27 am

How does one groom someone to take in a position of power? They test their control, their calm, their intelligence, and skill at manipulation. They look for a personality that they can get along with (after all they're also seeing this 'kid' as a companion. This is part proving yourself as a corporation power player and part being an ideal lover/friend/pawn. It truly depends on what the specific oldgen is looking for in a candidate.

How do they get approval? From their peers, their fellow oldgen. They basically have to show that their choice is worthwhile and 'elite' enough to be given the chance to join them.

How aware of the veil? At the start? Likely not at all. How the candidate will deal with the Veil is likely one of the last things tested. Though the oldgen might pepper hints and clues throughout. The oldgen are one of the more veil conscious species out there. Considering they're dying out its easy to see why that would be. So while the oldgen will seek to find out how much the candidate knows they aren't going to just lay everything out in return on a silver platter.
-Room mate
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby ShadowsMyst on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:01 pm

Grooming is also a form of mentoring. There are lots of movies and stories which feature a mentor and a student. The mentor generally is looking for a particular set of qualities in a student, and then guides them through various exercises to help them achieve what they want, and what the teacher wants for them. Grooming can also entail a certain degree of manipulation. Its like.. yoda teaching luke to become a jedi. Luke has the raw talent, Yoda teaches him how to use it and guides him down the path to become a Jedi as opposed to a Sith.

Oldgens typically want a mix of ambition, intelligence, savvy, critical and sideways thinking, the ability to see big picture and usually some form of business acumen. They also tend to look at a persons morality (or lack there of), will, resolve, and ability to adapt to change. They look at many things, and spend years testing all aspects of a person from professional to personal before they reveal anything about themselves or the veil. Only someone who was very close to being turned would know anything about the veil, and it would probably be only small bits.

Candidates are almost always exceptional in some way. They have to get the oldgen's attention. A lot of the time they are employees in the corporation the vamp owns that comes to their attention because of the exceptional ability the character possesses. If an oldgen takes an interest, they will probably be promoted somewhere the oldgen can start testing them. If they pass all the tests, the oldgen will spend more direct time actually grooming them to make the decision. Oldgens NEVER force a turn on someone who is unwilling. All Oldgens younger than about 200 years old are vampires because they chose to be. This makes them extremely passionate and dedicated to their people and the vampire cause.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Shifters Comic Discussion