Random Shifters Question

Forum for the specific discussion of the Shifters webcomic. Ask questions, post comments, fan art/stories, and that sort of thing here.

Re: Random Shifters Question

Postby Gorble on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Hiding in plain sight is a viable strategy for a newgen. So yeah they can try and play the vampire poser route. They can say they're hundreds of year old. They can spritz on some body glitter. They can insist on clean feeding methods to avoid passing on this hideous curse. The downside of such a method though... one is that in certain circles you just might earn a rep so when a body ends up drained the cops might get your name as an immediate suspect. Another is that you have to put up with fans of the condition. Frankly considering most newgen end up with low impulse control its hard to think they'd tolerate a whining emo tween that wants to be turned and thinks they are your destined true love for any length of time.

As for oldgen, they don't need to play dress up since as the more established kind of vampire they can usually just have a donor network of some type. Can this be a cult of personality with a blood letting fetish aspect to it? Sure.

But yeah in either case neither is going to step out into the sunlight with a "Behold my hideous true form" and do anything but melt and combust.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby ShadowsMyst on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:52 pm

They also can't do the 'vegan vampire' thing. They are always dangerous, as much as any individual one doesn't want to be, its just the reality of the condition.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby artguy50 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:48 pm

are there vampire bat shifters and can they or do thay drink blood and/or vampire like in any way?
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Gorble on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Vampire bats are an animal so yes. They can drink blood just as their bond animal does. Mind you that isn't a dietary requirement for them unlike the animal.

Edit:
Well unless they're in animal form, but that's more of a digestive tract alteration sort of thing. Or if you make them more powerful and decide forcing a liquid diet or even having to supplement themselves with blood works as a decent trade off, but that's not entirely necessary or standard. As for other 'vampire' stuff they can do... they can drink blood that's about it. Sure one can argue that they're saliva has an anti-coagulant, but that's not very 'vampire' to me.
-Room mate
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Daggertooth on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:41 pm

Plus I'd bet a vampire bat would just target another animal and consider it a standard predation event. I suppose blood does have that grossout factor or vampireesk factor....but I wouldn't think that'd be different than a cat shifter biting the head off a mouse and chowing down.

Question...hoping it hasn't been asked before. How long can a vampire, new gen and old, go without feeding? If they are forced into prolonged blood withdrawal what happens?
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby ShadowsMyst on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Old gen vampires have evolved over time that as they get older they can go longer and longer with less and less blood required for survival. They enjoy drinking it, so they tend to 'sip' frequently, like enjoying a glass of wine with dinner every friday night, but they don't usually gorge themselves unless they have a very good reason. Drinking blood affords them certain benefits such as a certain resistance to sunlight, a more healthy appearance, a serious power boost for their natural abilities, but all in all, about 250ml once a week until about age 50, then its more like 250ml once a month. Old gens can actually go years without drinking blood after about 150 years as a vampire, but its not comfortable.

New Gens however, require almost daily blood ingestion to feel comfortable. A newgen requires about 300 ml per day to feel comfortably full, although more provides a wonderfully euphoric high and sense of well being, as well as a power boost to them. They can go about 4-5 days without drinking, but by the end of a week, they start 'blood narking'.

For either vampire, not drinking blood is akin to starvation in humans. Old gens have a much more efficient metabolism, so they don't burn through their food as fast as new gens do. However, it is the same thing to them as eating. The longer they go without it beyond their tolerance, the more hungry, cranky, ill tempered, and violent they can become. Eventually it will go to the point where their bodies will act on their own to preserve themselves. The newgens call this 'blood narking' because often they don't remember what happens when they go into this state. Its not technically falling asleep, its more like sleepwalking. The body is active, but the brain is off. The lack of nourishment impairs conscious functions in a vampire. This is dangerous for a number of reasons.

One is that they don't care who they attack. It can be a kid, a police officer, a mother, etc. 98% of the time its fatal as well because the new gen is basically an animal and will gorge themselves. When they wake up, they realize what's happened, often with grizzly consequences. Oldgens fledglings, because they are deeply mentored, don't normally end up abstaining. They have a large network of donors from their sponsor and are usually made aware early on what their lives after becoming vampires will be like and what's expected of them. However, if they do attempt to abstain for too long, eventually they will snap, much like their new gen counterparts. Although unlike new gens, old gens can 'hibernate' for periods of time, where they do not feed. But when they awaken, they will generally seek out the nearest food source and train it dry, depending on how long they were sleeping for. Their brain will not reawaken until they do this.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Daggertooth on Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:57 am

Cool stuff.

How long would it take either vampire to starve to death. Say one was stuck in a situation where they would be without food indefinitely. Are there any survival strategies they might implement to stave off starvation for just a little longer?
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby artguy50 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:38 pm

how advanced is gun technology in your world? is there railguns, bullets than can bounce off walls? revolvers I can fire shotgun rounds, stuff like that?
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Gorble on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:52 am

While I can't answer things about vamp starvation/death. I'll take a stab at gun tech.

Railguns- Already exist, of the man-portable variety no (though Iran claims to have made one, but they aren't releasing any hard data on what it can do or how it performs). You also have quite a few home-made gauss guns aka coil guns which utilize the same technology, though most of these possess poor range and fire rates. As for Shifters I could certainly see that there might be some vehicle mounted variety of railgun, but seriously in this game anything vehicle mounted is going to put a large hole in a man-sized objects.

Bouncing Wall Bullets- Bullets can already ricochet, if you are talking about some round meant to purposely do so I doubt it makes for a viable enough strategy to make it in the tech world.

Curving Bullets- A sort of compromise might be a IBSF gun or Imprint Ballistic Solution on Firing. In this case each fire and forget bullet features fins at the front and rear, actuated by a simple nanoengineered electro-active polymer strand. Upon firing the angle of the fins is set via an electrical signal passed into the bullet from the gun. The gun's built in ballistic computer, in liason with various other tactical inputs (sat, uav, etc.) calculate any ballistic arc needed to hit the acquired target. In burst or full auto fire this would mean less decrease in accuracy as the gun compensates for its recoil and inherent unsteadyness of a handheld weapon (I.e. Less spread in shots fired). This of course is an arc not a bullet that will turn corners. This a potentially plausible tech given of what I know about the Shifter World tech. Does it offer amazing trick shots? No it just slightly increases a weapon's accuracy. Of course such rounds would probably be expensive and very traceable.

Corner Shot- If you want to shoot around corners then look up Cornershot.

Revolver Shotgun- Already exists. http://boingboing.net/2011/01/29/revolv ... fires.html
Of course there isn't really a huge market for this because well... what's the point? I doubt it's any easier to handle than a sawn-off or any more accurate.

Is there something particular you are thinking about for a character?
-Room mate
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Sterling on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:33 am

A Powergun (Hammer's Slammers Universe) would be awesome. Simple, but expensive.
And it'd sting quite a bit too. Yeah. Ouch.
~
Sterling

"Naive wishing for peace is the surest possible way to invite an aggressor."
Sterling
Shifter Darkly
Shifter Darkly

PreviousNext

Return to Shifters Comic Discussion