Random Shifters Question

Forum for the specific discussion of the Shifters webcomic. Ask questions, post comments, fan art/stories, and that sort of thing here.

Re: Random Shifters Question

Postby Gorble on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:40 am

There are no form of undead in the Shifters universe. So I assume that kind of covers ghosts. Heavily tainted areas so infused with chaos from traumatic/tragic events of course may be 'haunted' but that's more of chaos doing stuff and not the soul of the departed.

From what I recall of a talk with SM when you die your soul departs and is gone from this mortal plane. You do not pass go and collect 200 years of haunting a location. There might be mages that deal with fate or time that can scry over a body to determine things, but they likely aren't holding conversations with the departed. Now there's also a Dream God for Death, but with it being one of the forbidden pacts you can guess that shamans and those of Gaia would be somewhat wary of any Shaman that made a pact with that God.

the magical side of the public?

I find this a funny line since there is no public side to the magic of the world. The Veil is the lie that keeps the public in the dark. A more proper use would be how the Veil World (as opposed to the general populace aka Waking World) would view such things. Which Lupis has kind of covered. Either A. You are doing something on the Gaia side that is kind of' wrong' or B. You are doing something on the Dark Star side that is 'wrong'.

there shamans but that's mostly spirits of nature then spirits of the dead
Slightly incorrect. Shamans deal with Dream Gods, though they are connected to various fundamental bits of the universe I wouldn't call them spirits. They are gods, but that's probably splitting hairs.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby artguy50 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Slightly incorrect. Shamans deal with Dream Gods, though they are connected to various fundamental bits of the universe I wouldn't call them spirits. They are gods, but that's probably splitting hairs.

spirits can be gods, depanding on what you put consiter a spirit to be.
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Khroal on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:53 am

lol what I meant by magic side of the public (man I suck at wording thinks) were how they were perceived by the different magical communities. Anyways though, ty.
Khroal
Shifty Novice
Shifty Novice

Postby ShadowsMyst on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Actually, there was one instance in the RP where talking to the spirits of the dead came up. It was when Tsu's character Amy talked to her dead Gran in the dream world.

There is no undead in the shifters world as in animated corpses, or dead brought back to life ( Save for like.. resuscitation of a body in a hospital as there is today.). However, souls are very real and play a huge (if unseen) roll in the Shifters universe. There is very strong distinctions between gods and souls in the Shifters universe. There is no interchanging between them.

The Shifters Universe is like a sphere sliced into layers. The souls (aka cores) flow between the material plane, and the two 'scrubbing' layers of the universe, the dream world and Purgatory depending on the charge that the soul has acquired in its time in the material plane. It will 'float' to either a lower plane or higher one until that charge is neutralized and it falls back down or floats back up into the Material plane to be reborn again. Each time this occurs, the soul is enriched and gains knowledge and power and thus moves along the evolutionary path.

Gods are not souls. They do not evolve, and they are ALL twins. Each one having an ordered and chaos half. They are part of the machinery of the universe. They reside on opposite ends of the universe in a separate plane, and push and pull the souls between them. They can move between planes, but its rare that they do so.

The Dream Gods are anomalies, astral entities created from a combination of souls and astral energies when the Breach occurred. They are not gods in that they do not have a twin, and they are unique in that because they are astral entities can 'bend' or 'break' some laws of the universe that even the gods can't do. They serve the function of gate keeping the astral layer or the entities it holds prisoner from leaking and contaminating the dream world more than has already occurred.

Because all normal souls have some connection to the dream world, and most on earth lean more towards order than chaos, they can use dreams and lucid dreaming to attempt to communicate with departed souls. However, because of the way the process works, most souls are fairly weak and cleansed quickly, thus retaining little to no self awareness or memory of past lives while in purgatory or in the dream world. Sometimes they've already re-departed for a new life in the waking world. Some powerful, more evolved spirits may linger in the dream world or purgatory for a long time, or retain a higher level of self awareness than less powerful souls. Those with particular ability to manipulate the dream world, such as shifters shaman, tend to linger longer in the dream world than those who are not.

This connection can work both ways, in that a soul can attempt to communicate a message through dreams to someone yet alive. It tends to be difficult to do, but dreams, visions, and ideas is really all a bodiless soul can communicate. Its not really undead however, its more like soul to soul communication. You also have to keep in mind what vibration the other soul has and your soul. Only souls with like vibrations can achieve communication.

There are souls composed of astral energy, which are slowly cycled into the rebirth/death cycle of the waking world in order to 'normalize' them. These create unique beings called Espi. They are not normal souls and do not behave as normal souls and so require special treatment.

There is no way to magically retrieve souls from the dream or purgatory layers, nor is there any way to enslave them. Information would have to be gleaned through dreams and visions, through personal connection to the soul in question. Its like reaching out your soul to the other and transferring information between them.

For mages, such types of magic that touches on something as sacred as the soul would be taboo, although doing things such as seeking visions from the dream world is more something Shifters Shaman do than mages.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Khroal on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks SM. Appreciate it.
Khroal
Shifty Novice
Shifty Novice

Postby Lupis on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:45 am

...and now I have so many terrible ideas of ways Renard can get in even more trouble than he's already in. Wonderful. :D
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Postby artguy50 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:37 am

is there any other gods in shifters that the dream gods and dark star like from real life religions and whos dark star?

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Gorble on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:35 am

Are there other gods other than the Dream Gods(not quite gods according to the stricter definition of the shifter universe), Gaia, and the Dark Star?
Yes, but then they aren't involved in the world of Shifters.

Like from real life religions?

If you're expecting Loki, Kali, or Zeus to pop in then no. Those 'gods' don't exist.

Who's the Dark Star

:shock: You seriously don't know who that is? She's Gaia's opposite, also called Terra. The 'villain' goddess that created vampires and such. The one imprisoned constantly because she either wants to just outright destroy everything or otherwise seize some control of the world.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby ShadowsMyst on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:53 am

The human names for gods or belief in how gods work, is not the way they /really/ are in shifters. All gods are twins, you have to think about gods as pairs. And humans might only recognize or personify a half of a pair. The true gods of Shifters do NOT have contact with Earth. They are too powerful to interact with the mortal world directly. In fact is is really only dragons that have direct contact, and like gods they are also twins, but are less powerful than the true gods. So like gorble said. Zeus, Loki, and all them will not be popping into the Shifters world. That doesn't mean people don't keep believing in such entities, or attributing those qualities to other beings, but the do not really exist as people make them out to.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby artguy50 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:23 pm

You seriously don't know who that is? She's Gaia's opposite, also called Terra. The 'villain' goddess that created vampires and such. The one imprisoned constantly because she either wants to just outright destroy everything or otherwise seize some control of the world.

i know she was the goddess of all evil and vamps, i just thought she was different there the dream gods and gaia's are. i don't even think them as twins just two different force cliding with each other and nothing else and now i think i get it. there more like equalizer to each other

artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Shifters Comic Discussion