Drowtales

Forum for the specific discussion of the Shifters webcomic. Ask questions, post comments, fan art/stories, and that sort of thing here.

Drowtales

Postby Suicidal Lady on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Anybody here read Drowtales?

I have been reading that comic for years, and it's really starting to get awesome!

Also, I love the 6 day a week updates. Maybe one day, Myst, you too can support yourself on Shifters alone and afford to hire assistants. That would be awesome, but wishful thinking. I'm happy you just decided to start it back up again!

ANYWAYS, for those of you who have not seen Drowtales, here is a link

http://drowtales.com/

Only takes like, two days to get through the whole thing, and I was had classes to attend too.
~Reach for the moon, because if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
If this sig looks blue to you, you are moving towards your screen to fast
*Physics humor, couldn't help myself*
Suicidal Lady
Shifting Champion
Shifting Champion

Re: Drowtales

Postby ShadowsMyst on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:14 am

I've advertised on Drowtales, although admittedly I haven't really read it. But apparently we share some commonalities between our audiences.

I WISH I could update 6 days a week, but that was impossible even when I was doing black and white pencils. 3 days a week was the best I ever managed. Maybe if I had the opportunity to work chapters in advance, but I don't. :P It is rather wistful thinking that I could support myself on Shifters alone I think, let alone hire assistants.

I do what I can, when I can, as I can. And we go from there.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Bubbanator505 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:04 pm

One of the things that you can do when you achieve enough chapters is sell your shifter comics into books. That way when people take their books with them they give you "free" advertisement, which in turn makes people want to donate money to you, which gives you an incentive to work faster, which makes more books pop out to sell, which keeps landing you money by the "free" advertisement giving you donations and book selling.

It's an idea. I think your story is solid enough to land you a LOT of sales and I am the new guy here.
Bubbanator505
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Suicidal Lady on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:02 pm

ShadowsMyst wrote:I've advertised on Drowtales, although admittedly I haven't really read it. But apparently we share some commonalities between our audiences.

I WISH I could update 6 days a week, but that was impossible even when I was doing black and white pencils. 3 days a week was the best I ever managed. Maybe if I had the opportunity to work chapters in advance, but I don't. :P It is rather wistful thinking that I could support myself on Shifters alone I think, let alone hire assistants.

I do what I can, when I can, as I can. And we go from there.

Well, Drowtales also has 2 art teams working at the same time, so that they are always working on the chapter ahead. I can't imagine Kern doing it all by himself! From what I have read, he doesn't do much more then the story anymore, cause his hand has sorta crapped out on him. Heaven forbid that ever happens to you!

And who knows? If it can happen once that something becomes popular enough to support itself alone, it can happen again. They started by offering a paid service to read side stories, which became popular enough. Now they have added a visual roleplay, where the comics for a story set waaaaay aways from the main storyline are based off of what the players do, and they now have the money to develop an actual flash type game to go along with it.

Internet comic on steroids.
~Reach for the moon, because if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
If this sig looks blue to you, you are moving towards your screen to fast
*Physics humor, couldn't help myself*
Suicidal Lady
Shifting Champion
Shifting Champion

Postby ShadowsMyst on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:22 pm

I've had my wrist crap out before ( I suffer from carpel tunnel in my wrists), but I've taken steps to keep it manageable. But it does bug me from time to time if I have a flare up. Part of the issue is that I work at a computer all day, so when I get home, I don't REALLY want to spend another 6 hours on my ass. And I can't. i've got other things that need to happen, like dinner and exercise. I /was/ ahead, back in June, but stuff happened, and I lost my buffer and I haven't been able to recover it. But dear lord what I could do with some decent funding and a team of artists. XD

I've thought about the subscription site concept. I do actually have a story that happens congruent to the Shifters story that could be read over there, or side stories that are explorations or tangents from the main one. My issue, as always is time and the ability to guarantee new content on a 'however-many-times-a-week' basis. The day job sucks up most of it, and then there's all the fluff of life to contend with to eek out the week the 10 hours it takes to complete a comic. Mysti is a huge help, but she's 1 in a million. Seriously. I'd been looking for a colorist for YEARS before she came along. I even offered to train someone on Photoshop in exchange for coloring work. Everyone flaked on me, before ever doing anything. But she does this for free and earns her living off drawing. I can't monopolize any more of it in good conscience without pay, and I'm too poor to pay her a decent rate, even to get things started.

I'm hoping that if I can make some reasonable money at conventions, I can re-invest it into things LIKE hiring other artists to generate more content.

I do have some ideas in mind to get more stuff out there for people to buy, maybe help fund stuff, but I need to keep my overhead low until the income generation is enough that it actually pays enough for me and other people.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby BH5432 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:46 am

Sometimes I wish I had the cash to just drop a bunch on someone like that myst. So you can get back into the swing of things. Tho theres no harm in wishing I win the lottery so I can maybe kinda sorta Fund a studio or something.
BH5432
Shifty Novice
Shifty Novice

Postby ShadowsMyst on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:57 pm

Hey, if I won the lotto there wouldn't be any barriers to me starting my own studio. The problem is always the initial investment capital. Gotta have money to make money as the saying goes.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Bubbanator505 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:57 pm

But if you won the lotto then 60% of it will go poof in taxes.
Bubbanator505
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby ShadowsMyst on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:11 pm

Doesn't work that way in Canada. :) I'd get to keep more of it than an American would.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Bubbanator505 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Actually in the USA lottery tickets are tax exempt. If you live in Mexico like I did for 18 years then its about 45% taxed.
I thought you lived in Europe or something lol.
Bubbanator505
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Next

Return to Shifters Comic Discussion