So I need your input...

Forum for the specific discussion of the Shifters webcomic. Ask questions, post comments, fan art/stories, and that sort of thing here.

What should happen while Che's computer is dead?

Post Black and white line art with dialogue (fastest option)
50%
Post flatted panels/minimal shading with dialogue ( Medium option)
No votes
Post full pages every two weeks (slowest option)
10%
Continue to post filler until Che has a computer again
30%
Post alternate B/W story until Che has a computer again
10%

Total votes : 10

So I need your input...

Postby ShadowsMyst on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Specifically I need your input on what to do with Shifters for the foreseeable future while Che's computer is fucked.

See, her computer was supposed to be fixed, but it actually came back MORE broken than when it left. They replaced the video card... buuut now the powersupply is screwed up and it randomly freezes and shuts down when running demanding applications. This would include Photoshop and Sai when running the number of layers it takes to do a full color thing. She's talked about getting a desktop, but right now she can't afford it. So.. its a waiting game.

Now, I don't want to keep stalling forever with filler. its already been several months, but I know I can't handle the coloring and drawing duties for very long, and it takes me a lot longer to do the coloring than Che does.

So there are a few options I can think of, but if you can think of others, please chime in on this thread and vote in the poll below.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Re: So I need your input...

Postby Gorble on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:33 pm

Man I'd donate my old desktop pc at this point, but not sure how well that'd go. Plus then I'd have to transfer anything I want still on it to the current one or buy an independent data storage device (it ain't gonna fit all on a thumb drive). Then of course there'd be the shipping and that's of course not even considering if my old pc specs are good enough to get the job done (I'd think it would, but then never know). Then there'd be the hoping it would arrive undamaged.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby ShadowsMyst on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 pm

The big considerations are normally RAM. Anything that takes DDR 3 is probably going to be sufficient to get the job done. Right now I'd say that 6-8gb is like the minimum you'd want. Anything under that is kind of painful. I know, I have to deal with it, since my desktop is limping along on 4gb of DDR 2. :P I want to upgrade as well, but, no money. Its fine for drawing (I only need one layer for drawing), the coloring part is what sucks because layers are a memory whore. I experience frequent crashes and freeze ups as results unless I go purposefully slow and merge layers to keep it under about 15 at a time. I've lent her an old laptop of mine to limp along with, but unfortunately its too underpowered to run anything beyond PS3 and we've both tried and its painful. You can't draw with a tablet on it because it tracks too slowly. Its okay for surfing the web, IMing, and wordprocessing, but that's about it.

Sadly, artists are poor. :P I don't know that your computer would even make it across the border. We've been looking at the prices of things, trying to figure out how much it would reasonably cost to get her a desktop at somewhere like NCIX.ca.

But in the meanwhile, we gotta do something.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Gorble on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Well sadly I'm pretty sure my old pc wouldn't meet the requirements (after all it was more of a semi gaming/web browser comp) and really if I were crazier I'd just personally deliver it up to avoid any shipping issues. Of course its also winter so there's going to be driving issues as well. So I guess I'll just have to help out with donating or such. So when you figure out costs/plan I'll happily shell out some clams to help soften the blow for some of my favorite starving artists.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Anthius on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:52 pm

I just went and checked my closet as I usually have a few parts laying around from my last few computers, unfortunatly my roommate had bought a lot of the parts from my last computer off me, all I really have is a case, motherboard and dvd drive in it. So not going to be much use to you.

If there's a time to buy a computer Christmas season is usually it. I saw an Asus with 8GB of ram a radeon GPU and an AMD A8 CPU in it for only about $500 at Best Buy the other day, there should be plenty of deals out there to be had right now. And like Gorble I'd be happy to send a little extra your way to help however I can.
And then the Archangel Anthius spoke to them saying, “Fear shall be vanquished by the Sword of Faith.”
Anthius
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Che on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:38 pm

You guys are sweet ;n;
President of the X Underboob fanclub. Buttons coming soon
Che
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Wolves on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:03 pm

I'd send my leftover laptop, but I don't even know if it download PS. I'll try to contribute however I can, but teens aren't much better off than artists in terms of money.:/
Wolves
Shifty Novice
Shifty Novice

Postby Talexis on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:16 am

If Che's laptop is turning off while running demanding programs, you may want to get the thermal paste or heat sink setup checked out. That happened to my laptop in October; the moment I'd open up high quality video files or play a graphically demanding game, it would shut off on me and state the cpu having gotten too hot despite not having done much anything.

Come sometime the week after next when finals are over and I get home, I'll see what I've got lying around at home. I know I've got a tower that might fit the bill processor wise, but it may be lacking on the ram level and last I checked, still had a hiccup of BSOD, which was why it came into my possession it in the first place. If you need an lcd, I can probably donate one; I've got a few of the 1024x768 variety and possibly one 1280x1024(benefits of living living near a recycling center)

You could try Woot; sometimes they'll have a laptop on sale for fairly cheap, refurbished as it is. Otherwise a capable laptop can cost a small fortune outside of holiday sales compared to a desktop.
Talexis
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Che on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:14 am

Well, what is happening right now, is like, when I go to run borderlands for example, I'll just be in the menus, adjusting the settings, and then my computer will just lock up and crash. It wont shut down, it freezes. I tried playing left4dead 2, something it used to be able to do no problem, and the result was I was able to play for a little bit, but eventually it did the same.

What was suggested for me to do by the tech support at asus, is to first update my drivers from their website. I have done that, and it gave me a little bit more time to play around with things, but eventually the same end.
The second option, was to do a system recovery, and reset it to factory defaults. I did that last night, and have yet to try stress testing it yet.

If it doesn't work, I will be sending it back to asus.
President of the X Underboob fanclub. Buttons coming soon
Che
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby Daggertooth on Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Well I hope that works. It's frustrating when the computer goes down. Seems like there's always something wrong with them.

I don't have any components or technology I can help with, but I could pitch in with some cash if need be.
Daggertooth
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Next

Return to Shifters Comic Discussion