Email system down?

Got a suggestion for the site? For the forums? A feature not working the way it should? Well here's where you report it and it will get looked at.

Email system down?

Postby Orev on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:43 am

Small bug, but annoying consequences :P

I tried to reset my password last night, and for whatever reason, the confirmation email never arrived. I thought it might have been a one-off, so I waited till tonight and tried again, but the same thing happened. Just thought I should alert you to that (also, if a registration confirmation should have been sent, I never received it).

My old account was Eagle101, I guess I'll just move on with this, since I did not have too much on the old account.
Did you want a witty comment?
Orev
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Re: Email system down?

Postby ShadowsMyst on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:14 pm

Did you check your spam filter? I know that the email from this board often gets discarded as spam or filtered automatically. If you are using hotmail, it might be completely prevented from getting there entirely. The registration system currently doesn't require the activation email.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Orev on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:23 pm

I don't have those sort of problems. Gmail has a fairly good spam filtering service, and nothing is deleted before I can review it (on account email I used to register, at least). I'll try again when I get home, just to be sure, but if I don't receive one tonight then either gmail is dead (I'll try a temp email later, too), or your mail server is dead.

Could anyone reading this try the password retrieval function, please? Just to be sure it is not me specifically.
Orev
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby ShadowsMyst on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:26 pm

The problems our ISP is blacklisted on spamhaus, so it main not get delivered at all, although I'll check with the server admin and see if there is an issue there. Might be a configuration thing. But I can't do much until I talk to him tomorrow.

Edit: Aug 5
I've talked to the server admin and he confirms there is a server malfunction with postfix. He's working on it, but no eta yet.

Edit #2:
Should be fixed now.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Orev on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:04 am

Yay for spam bots... Maybe activate account verification via email to stop it?
Orev
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby ShadowsMyst on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:07 am

I actually have enabled verification. I'm fighting it. I think some of these spam bots might have humans behind them, at least at registration.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Orev on Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:56 pm

Thought this might help?
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=427852 wrote:Registration Auth Code (RAC) MOD
What is it? This very simple MOD will require users to enter a code into a textbox during registration. The code is chosen by the administrator and can be placed just about anywhere for users to find (right on the registration page, in the description of the first forum, a separate topic, or just about anywhere else). The MOD can also be easily modified to ask a simple question, if you prefer that approach. Here are two examples:
Image Image
Target: Bots
Pros: The MOD is extremely simple and takes less than 3 minutes to install. If spam bots are adapted to enter the correct code, all you need to do is change the code and/or the location where it is displayed to throw them off again.
Cons: The MOD only targets bots; human spammers will be able to locate the code and register.
Bottom line: As the majority of spam comes from bots, I strongly recommend this MOD. Assuming that you have taken the steps mentioned above, this should be the only anti-bot MOD you will need to install.
Download: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=552845
Orev
Shifting Adept
Shifting Adept

Postby ShadowsMyst on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:12 am

Thanks, but this is a 3.0 board. That mod is for the 2.0 generation of PHPbb. I've got to find one that works on the 3.0 system that I can actually install without breaking things.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Return to The Gearbox