RP board thought for your consideration...

Out of Character discussion forums. Post questions here.

RP board thought for your consideration...

Postby ShadowsMyst on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:04 pm

I've been sort of thinking about the boards again. ( I do this entirely too much I think) in particularly staring at the empty, unused D20 forums I was hoping to get to at some point, but I don't think its any time soon.

There's always been the problem of character approval and character building to canon. Either people want to play stuff that is WAYYYY out of whack with the universe (I'm really no help because sadly most of the information everyone needs is still in my head or lost to various incarnations of the board), or stupidly powerful (everyone wants to play a kinsmir syndrome), or people want to cross random shit over or whatever. There has been the test board, but no real true 'free form' board for play of 'whatever' in the Shifters universe.

We want to attract more players, but we obviously don't want to lose the high quality that's marked the general play of the Shifters boards, there's also now the potential for 'GMed' sessions basically, which would function somewhat differently than regular freeform play.

So I see three distinctly different flavors of RP. 1) Freeform "anything-goes-do-what-you-want" RP, 2) Approved character RP, similar to what we have now, and 3) GMed RP 'groups' of players which revolve around GM created scenarios with approved characters designed specifically for a given scenario.

Personally, when I get a group going on, I don't much like random people popping in and out. I kind of want a group of dedicated players so I can weave a storyline around those characters. So groups would tend to stay in their groups, crossing over only occasionally. I'm thinking a "group" would consist of 4-6 players within a 'theme'.

The "Anything goes" Rp would allow for people to play whatever they wanted with little to no waiting period, no character approval process per se, although obviously for most people who've BEEN playing this is going to bork the shit out of the canon comic, because realistically in Shifters, it isn't 'anything goes'. But people could play shifters, or vampires, or whatever, right out of the gate. I kind of see it as a melting pot that I probably won't look at much because it will make me sad or irritated. But it might get more people interested in the RP, and move on to the second forum.

The second 'moderated freeform', or maybe "Advanced RP" that would be basically the same as we have now. Characters submission, approval, double approval, human first rule, all that jazz. I'm hoping that through the above RP, they get the knowledge and we get a sense of their abilities before they get to this level. Hopefully too build up the 'library' of canon so people can make proper characters. If they do well here, they can move up to the third level.

The GMed games I would prefer people who've shown they've got the chops to play at this level. So by they time you want to join a GMed game, you should have a good idea about the world canon (or be willing to ask a lot of good questions), and shown you've got some RP chops. Familiarity with tabletop is preferred here, since it's basically a tabletop style game online as opposed to freeform. It's going to use a 'system' of sorts, but there will probably be more combat, drama, and a guided storyline. Attendance will be a little more of an issue in a game like this. Probably want to subscribe to the threads so you get emails and know when its your turn.

Each RP type would have its own group of forums. The complete freeform game wouldn't have any filters on joining, so anyone could jump in right away as soon as they filled out the minimum character sheet.

What do you guys think of this structure? Is it viable? would it make any difference?
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Re: RP board thought for your consideration...

Postby Gorble on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:19 pm

I like the moderated free form and GMed game idea for forums, but I don't much care for the free for all forum. Like you it'll make me sad or irritated to see what may go on. It might generate a player base or it just my generate more post once and then never again rpers. It may also begin to generate a huge amount of disinformation as players encounter what they think are canon creations only to find out 'no that doesn't work that way' or 'no that is impossible.

I'd rather have quality over quantity.

The test forum was there basically to act as the free for all and we got to see how some people would play it. I suppose some of us actives could 'populate' it to encourage new people to try and get their feet wet.

Basically I'd scrap the d20 forum and slot in one for the GM run rps. Then take some time out of the day and write down a paragraph or two of canon. Start with all the 'boring' mundane stuff (currency, ids, government, technology). This is the bread and butter that's stopping people from getting their feet underneath them. While I like reading about Veil stuff I know it tends to drag all the player focus sometime. They stop thinking about how the character exists and think "I'm an awesome fuzzy fighting evil!" Kind of that tunnel vision effect.

Reminds me I need to start picking your brain more often.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby ShadowsMyst on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:49 pm

Maybe have like.. series of skype sessions where like you, and other RP folk or fans show up and pick my brain a little on Canon stuff. Might help me devote some time to getting it down. I don't tend to think about it strongly unless people are asking me questions. Some stuff I've written down once and then lost, I need a prod to remember I haven't got it anymore.

I'm not sure anyone sees the test RP forum where it is. Maybe I should pry it out of that subforum or something so its more visible. Its kind of buried.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Anthius on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:43 pm

I have to agree with Gorbal, as much as it's been a pain for me to try and create a new character I think the end result we get from our characters are well worth the effort. The whole free for all thing... just the thought of the kinds of things that could come out of that makes me cringe.

A Q and A skype session could be great. I know I'd benefit from having someone to if not ask questions to bounce ideas off of in a more immediate manner, to maybe get the ball rolling. And any info we come across that way that's not currently written down could them make there way onto the forums through a post of some type.
And then the Archangel Anthius spoke to them saying, “Fear shall be vanquished by the Sword of Faith.”
Anthius
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Return to OOC Discussion