Rules of character generation

Post your character ideas here for a detailed critique and help getting them in line to be accepted to the RP.

Rules of character generation

Postby ShadowsMyst on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:39 am

I'm trying to remember all of them, I will add as I remember them.

These are things to consider when generating your character:

1) Humans first rule: All the beings in Shifters start as humans. To emphasize this we require your first character to start as a human. You may 'transition' to another race later (shifter, vampire, etc) when you have gained enough experience. The reason for this is to make sure there are enough humans in the game, and to bring forward the human element of Shifters, which is very important to the feel of the game.

2) No Twinks/Zippies/Powergaming: We want believable characters here. Not megahero psudogods. The world of Shifters is nitty gritty in many ways, and people are squishy. Sure, they can upgrade their bodies, but not without cost to their sanity. Everything exists in balance. For an advantage, you have to have equal disadvantage.

3) Don't bring knives to a gunfight: Shifters is set in a futuristic cyberpunk society, and generally speaking unless you are superhuman knives are not going to afford you a lot of advantage against guns. Most people are going to be packing guns, most likely 9mm. ( the most common kind) If you whip out a sword, its 'bang bang yer dead' time. Its okay to pack a knife, but realize that being trained in swords or any sort of oldschool blade/pole weapon is going to be purely for show and not particularly useful in real combat.

4) There is no such thing as nature: The environment you are in is urban to the extreme. You will not find forests, planes, or tundra here. There is nothing green here that isn't carefully nurtured and grown by human hands. There is no wildlife like deer or bears, there is only vermin, rats, cats, dogs, and a few other escaped pets. They are usually quickly rounded up and taken to preserves or shelters. Wilderness survival, growing up in wide open spaces, etc, does NOT happen here. Make sure you've read/watched the material on the genre to get the feeling of this right.

5)A society of numbers: There are two types of people in Shade City, those who are registered, and those who are not. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. People who are registered are in the system. They have ID, there are records of them and their families, they have rights and privileges in the uppercity, they can own property, have bank accounts, own vehicles, etc. They are in the system. The system is all around them, every minute of every day. There are cameras and scan ways everywhere in the uppercity, monitoring the comings and goings of people. Those who are not born in a hospital, who are not registered, are non-people. Quite literally. They do not exist as far as anyone of any note is concerned. While they are anonymous, they are also right-less. Those not in the system do not exist, so killing them is easy and often opted for such by taxed law enforcement, especially in the undercity. These living ghosts cannot use banks, own property, get legit medical help, or even use normal credit to buy things. They rely on barter, black cash, and prepaid debit cards to get by. Most of these people are forced to live in the undercity, as it is nearly impossible to function topside without ID. Keep this in mind when you make a character that 90% are in a computer *somewhere*. If they immigrated to Shade City, ever had a job or were born in a hospital, they are in the system. Information can be obtained about them. Its only if they were NOT born in a hospital or illegally gained entry to the city that they would not be.

5) Roleplaying is a team sport: It is important to consider how your character will interact with a group and how they will get involved with other characters when you make them. We are not going to go out of our way to break character *just* to involve yours. You are the newbie, you have to get yourself involved. While we are happy to give you ideas on how to do this, make sure you are familiar with existing characters and active plots to make a character to get involved. The 'lone wolf' character might appear cool, but in terms of RPing, someone who is a broody loner with no friends or family and no interesting points to speak of and no points of commonality to the rest of the cast is going to be exactly what he is. Alone, with no one to play with. So unless you enjoy RPing with yourself, you aren't going to get much out of this. So build a team player. Someone who has a reason to seek out other characters. They don't have to be 'nice', but they have to be able to work with others.

6) This is a 'low combat' game: This game of Shifters is very low combat as it is currently up to players if they get hurt or die when attacked. Without consent and 'scripting' from the other party, you can't engage in battle and you certainly can't kill another player just because you think your character is a badass. As a result, completely combat oriented characters are very hard to play with, and also very boring. This particular game is much more focused on political intrigue, veil and corporate politics, mysteries, and manipulation. Characters in this game should be more skill focused and less combat focused. Also, because a player must consent to being killed (unless they piss the GM off..) they can't be killed, so making an uberbadass walking tank character is generally stupid.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Re: Rules of character generation

Postby Gorble on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:36 pm

Cliche things that have cropped up on the forums, that I'd like too see avoided or if you must make it somehow interesting.

-Golden Child: The best of the best. Either in his field or all things. This character has no room for growth or change because he's climbed that mountain and stands at the peak. He doesn't have any dangerous flaws or really any flaws at all. This is not the same as being good at something mind you, but presenting them as the lead player is a bit much. Mind you I'm somewhat hypocritical on this at times as I use the same over reaching statements that I chide others for using at times. Feel free to call me on it.

-Darkness Surrounds me: The character wears all black, cause he's like Neo cool! Like totally, but since he's like so original he wears like one other color like red on an item to make him distinctive. Mind you Matrix is cyberpunk, but please let's avoid the Trenchcoat Mafia effect.

-Katana I cut you!: If you must have a blade keep it realistic and for God's sakes the Katana is not the greatest sword there ever was. Though cyberpunk and a katana has gone hand in hand for a bit.

-They're all dead, but me: Somewhere in your history eliminating the rest of the family and any close relatives. Just so you don't have to ever have to bother with them or go into details. Or worse having that random pack of berserk newgens storm in and kill them.

-I feel the RAGE!: This is not werewolf the apocalypse or any white wolf game. While a shifter's calling is set off by a traumatic experience this does not mean they flip out and kill people as a half animal shredding machine. Nor does it mean they will somehow flip out and kill a newgen. Nor do bodies just magically disappear or will shifters necessarily cover up the murders of innocent bystanders because you character went all kill frenzy.
"Why do angels always look like that?"
-Room mate
"God isn't very inventive."
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Tsureai on Sat May 03, 2008 9:04 am

Gorble wrote:Cliche things that have cropped up on the forums, that I'd like too see avoided or if you must make it somehow interesting.

-Darkness Surrounds me: The character wears all black, cause he's like Neo cool! Like totally, but since he's like so original he wears like one other color like red on an item to make him distinctive. Mind you Matrix is cyberpunk, but please let's avoid the Trenchcoat Mafia effect.

-They're all dead, but me: Somewhere in your history eliminating the rest of the family and any close relatives. Just so you don't have to ever have to bother with them or go into details. Or worse having that random pack of berserk newgens storm in and kill them.

Tsureai is literally all of these... :?
Que miras, cuando la luz se va?
Tsureai
Daughter of the DarkStar
Daughter of the DarkStar

Postby Gorble on Sat May 03, 2008 11:14 pm

That might be true, but Tsu is an interesting character despite some cliches she might have. ;)
-Room mate
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby Discord on Sun May 04, 2008 12:33 am

Gorble wrote:Cliche things that have cropped up on the forums, that I'd like too see avoided or if you must make it somehow interesting.

Gorble raises a good point here; and as with all things, there are alternatives to this clique that could be more game appropreate: maybe your family is simply estranged from one another - Shade City takes up just about the whole west coast, after all, and that's a LOT of land in both Under and Upper City to get lost in - or maybe you were adopted and never knew your birth parents. Maybe you were the result of a rape and never fully excepted by the family, or produced through a surrogate mother. The possibilities are there, people; you just have to look.

Gorble wrote:-I feel the RAGE!: This is not werewolf the apocalypse or any white wolf game. While a shifter's calling is set off by a traumatic experience this does not mean they flip out and kill people as a half animal shredding machine. Nor does it mean they will somehow flip out and kill a newgen. Nor do bodies just magically disappear or will shifters necessarily cover up the murders of innocent bystanders because you character went all kill frenzy.

This is probably one of the more annoying ones; I know I myself was foolish enough to assume a few WhiteWolf-isms when I first started playing. But here's something to remember - many Shifters can wig-out and cause significant damage to their surroundings, but not all (my character Kim was an example of this - next to Tsureai's character Amy Alice Belle, he was positively a weakling). It all depends on the Bond of the Shifter and the the Abilities granted.

Oh, and forget about being a Shifter newgen hunter - newgen will fuck-up a shifter 9 out of 10 fights, due to their vampiric traits. But what Shifters have that newgen don't (in most cases) is the ability to blend with society better, and utilize the power it gives them. Plus many newgen have an over-inflated sense of invulnerability that can get them hosed.
"I'm gonna live forever, or die trying."
- Joseph Heller (Catch 22)
Discord
Shifty Novice
Shifty Novice

Postby Gorble on Sun May 04, 2008 6:59 am

I'll disagree with the shifter being unable to a newgen hunter. If they keep their distance and utilize techniques of a human hunter they should be fine(... which reminds me of an article I should be retyping and posting here sometime in the future). They do have more than human hunters to worry about, their taintless nature is as easy for a newgen to sense as the newgen's tainted nature is for the shifter to track. Mind you shifters also have that instinctual need to destroy a newgen they are near and if the shifter is too weak willed this can completely override common sense and like result in the hidden fuzzy one's untimely demise.
-Room mate
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby ShadowsMyst on Mon May 05, 2008 4:31 am

Also, keep in mind as I am doing my rewrite of shifters, I'm adjusting canon. There are some new things that will be added, and old things that might change slightly. But making sure that you understand that Shifters IS NOT whitewolf is a good start.
ShadowsMyst
Shifters Creator & Admin
Shifters Creator & Admin

Postby Gorble on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:19 am

Ah character trends. It seems with the push away from combat realized everyone is making a techie. Mind you making a combatant character isn't wrong, but making a combat monster is. If his only quality is "I can kill stuff!" then obviously there is a problem. Mind you this is no better for a non combat character that is withdrawn or anti social "Fuck you all I'm gonna cut myself!" as there is no pc halo that states we must go out of our way to interact with a character.

CP2020 classes for fun perhaps to try and get some alternate character occupations
Rockerboys- Rebel Rockers who use music and revolt to fight Authority
Solos- Hired Assassins, Bodyguards, Killers, Soldiers
Netrunners- Cybernetic Computer Hackers
Techies- Renegade Mechanics and Doctors
Medias- Newsman and Reporters who go to the Wall for the Truth
Cops- Maximum Lawmen on mean 21st century streets
Corporates- Slick Business Raiders and Multi-Millionaires
Fixers- Deal Makers, Smugglers, Organizers, and Information Brokers
Nomads- Road Warriors and Gypsies who roam the Highways (this one doesn't work in the Shifter's universe as travel into or out of the city is not easy or necessary.)
-Room mate
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Postby artguy50 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:38 pm

i somehow cant find the vail race tamps for character Creation
"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance."--Socrates

The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to enjoy yourself and live.--ayn rand
artguy50
Shifter Elite
Shifter Elite

Postby Gorble on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:37 am

That's because you'd have to make a human first anyway.
-Room mate
-Me
Gorble
Queen of Darkness
Queen of Darkness

Next

Return to Character Workshop