Doc, Mechanic and Licensed Hunter

Post your character ideas here for a detailed critique and help getting them in line to be accepted to the RP.

Doc, Mechanic and Licensed Hunter

Postby Lupis on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:13 am

Name: Henry "Doc" Richards

Sex: Male

Race: Human

Physical Description: If one were to describe Doc in one word, it would be "solid." Several years past fifty, a few inches shy of six feet, and overweight and good at it, one might tend to overlook the sharp mind hidden beneath the bulky exterior. His sandy blonde hair is well on its way to going gray, as is the well-trimmed beard and mustache. Despite his age, his bright blue eyes are clear behind the narrow-lensed glasses perched on the end of his aquiline nose. Years of working with all manner of machinery and technology has left his ruddy skin seemingly permanently ingrained with oil and grime. An accident in the shop years ago crushed his left arm and leg beyond repair and both limbs have been replaced with cybernetic prostheses. The arm and leg are contoured around the shape of natural human limbs but cast in carbon fiber and stainless steel. Numerous other small accidents have left small scars, but no major damage.

Mental Description: Doc is a zen soul, the epitome of easy come, easy go. Utterly unflappable in the face of potential disaster and mayhem, he deals with things in the moment with utter pragmatism. Whoever first asked for the serenity to accept the things they cannot change, the courage to change what they can, and the wisdom to know the difference could have taken lessons from Doc. However, he is touchy about the subject of his family...and there is no quicker way to find out exactly how strong that cybernetic arm is than to threaten his family, even in jest.

- Basic Stats -
Intelligence: 5
Mentally Stable: 4
Strength: 5
Agility: 2
Speed: 2
Appearance: 2
Charisma: 4
Spiritual: 3
Taint: 2

Elemental affinity: Earth

Special Skills of note:
Mechanic - Given time and parts, he can do virtually anything to a vehicle that you can imagine
Engineering - With a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, he has a broad knowledge of things mechanical, from robotics to cars to firearms
Basic Firearms Training (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun) - He can probably hit a target if it's not too far away and not moving too quickly
Hand-to-hand fighting - Though he has no formal training, he knows from experience how to handle himself in a brawl

Special Racial Abilities: None

Talent: Tinkerer - Doc can take a look at virtually any mechanical object, take it apart, and be able to put it back together. With this knowledge, he can often improve on existing designs, or find entirely new applications for them.

Allergies/Banes :

Insanities:

Turn Ons:

Turn Offs:

Waking World Reputation: A mechanic who knows how to get stuff done...and known to take custom orders.

Veil Reputation: N/A

Veil Teacher: N/A

Personal Quote/motto: *wince*...don't worry, I can fix that.

Favored Prey:

Personal Style: He can generally be found wearing durable, but comfortable, clothes. A well-worn leather jacket, stained jeans, work gloves tucked away in a pocket, welding goggles hanging around his neck from their cord...he's never far from his work.

Cybernetic/bioaugmentation: Cybernetic arm and leg, replacements for limbs lost when a hydraulic lift failed. The arm extends to the ball-and-socket joint of his shoulder, the leg goes to halfway up his thigh. Both are clearly artificial, cast in stainless steel and matte black carbon fiber, and are worn as part reminder of the hazards in his workplace and part mark of pride that he's survived and moved on.

Equipment carried:

Character History:
- Character childhood
Grew up Undercity all the way, but he followed his parents' hardworking ethic. He paid his own way through school as a grease monkey, working all the way through a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, taking out student loans along the way only when necessary.

- Family relations if any
His father died a few years ago, but he still visits his mother with relative frequency. He parted with his wife amicably, and visits his kids and grandkids often.

- Life events of note ( deaths, births, life changing events. This can be added to)
Getting special orders from Hunters was the start of a whole new aspect of his career. The challenge of meeting the exacting criteria of what was needed was a breath of fresh air, requiring enormous creativity and ingenuity. Word of mouth spread more and more, resulting in more and more orders for custom ammunition, weapons, vehicles, tools, and all manner of equipment. He got a Hunter's license almost by reflex so that he could see how his equipment performed outside of "laboratory" conditions, as well as provide his services to Hunters in the field.

- Special people in their life

- Goals and Aspirations
Keep saving up for his nest egg that'll let him retire comfortably.

Feelings on:
Oldgen Vampires - Dracula's a great book. That's as old school vampire as I know.
NewGen Vampires - Get the hell out of here, and take your sparkly vampires with you.
Shifters - Automatic, or manual? A stick's gonna work a lot better in that baby, trust me.
Espi - Listen, buddy, if you've got a speech impediment, just slow down, and articulate. It'll work better for both of us.
Humans - People are people, I guess. Except for the ones who want to put hydraulics on a GTO. Those assholes ain't human.
Veil Humans ( Mages/Escari/Psion) - Oh, my kids loved that Harry Potter stuff when they were young. Expelliarmus and all that.

Friends:

Alliances:

Enemies:

Experience Earned: 0
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Re: Doc, Mechanic and Licensed Hunter

Postby Obfuscon on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:51 pm

Now it's Doc's turn.

The impression I get is of a simple, hard-working family man for whom neither his work (hydraulic accident) nor his family life (Parted from wife) goes terribly smoothly, but he endures (Got prostheses and moved on, on amicable terms with wife).
He also strikes me as a very self-made man. For an Undercity resident to get a doctorate is nothing to sneeze at.

As for what to critique... I'll admit you made it hard. That's good. I guess just flesh out his more distinct qualities better. He's a family man; give us details. He's rock-steady; explain better how that trait developed. Throw in some distinct quirks here and there, maybe. Tics and the like.

Honestly... I'm having trouble picking apart the character any more than that. I think you've got him pretty well-set, at least at the core; about the only thing I can suggest is that since you've laid a bedrock foundation, now you can embellish. It's got my kudos.

-O
Obfuscon
Shifty Novice
Shifty Novice

Re: Doc, Mechanic and Licensed Hunter

Postby Lupis on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:16 pm

The rock-steadiness, at least...it's simply come from living a long time, having taken everything that life can throw at you, and still sticking through it. The man is stubborn, and born from that stubbornness is the realization that he can make it through just about everything if he perseveres, from physical pain (losing two limbs in a shop accident) to mental anguish (losing his wife, the love of his life). Were he a Shifter, he'd probably be a bovine of some variety: calm and steady, but when he's moving towards something he wants, absolutely nothing is going to stop him.

As for a lot of the details for the character...I admit, as this is built for a relatively specific scenario, I've left a good bit of it pretty vague until I know more details. Also, more of it is likely going to come out in play, such as relationships with his kids (whether they work in the shop with him, are trying to get him to retire, jobs, lives, etc).
Until shade is gone, until water is dust, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the last day.

-RIP Robert Jordan
Lupis
Shifter Shaman
Shifter Shaman

Return to Character Workshop